error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2019 Views 51,818 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:\.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce
MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.