Question

Q: Error: "CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode" when trying to run it on E: drive.

Original title:CHKDSK Won't Run on my Windows 7 Laptop

I'm trying to run a CHKDSK on my External Hard Drive E: but every time I try to do CHKDSK E: in the command processor, All I get is

"This type of file system is NTFS.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode."
(This is all I get, nothing inbetween)

I tried to do error checking from the Tools section but it doesn't run there either...
If its a problem with the OS, I don't have a Windows 7 Disk because my laptop came with it pre-installed
So what should I do?

Answer

A:

Hello Rayzorexe,

Thank you for the reply back.  Are you able to boot your computer and get to the recovery options?  From there you can run 'Command Prompt' and I want to know if you are able to run Chkdsk successfully from there. 

Are you getting the same response from the commands below:

Enter "chkdsk e:" into the command prompt. Press "Enter" to run the Check Disk utility in read-only mode. This locates errors but does not fix them

Enter "chkdsk e:/f" into the command prompt. Press "Enter" to run Check Disk and fix errors without scanning for bad sectors.

Enter "chkdsk e:/r" into the command prompt, Press "Enter" to do a thorough scan of files and sectors and repair any problems found.

Recovery Options:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

216 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 44,956 Last updated: May 19, 2018 Applies to: