Error 0x81000203 System Restore has encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again

Original Title; My System Protection and Restore isn't working for Windows 7 Professional x64

Hello there. As you can tell from my topic title, the system protection and restoration isn't working correctly on my PC which has Windows 7 Professional x64. I tried several times to System Protection to open and each time I get an error message. "System Restore has encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again(0x81000203)." What can I do to fix this issue? Configure, Create and System Restore are all Greyed out and there's no way to change it.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

1. When was the last time it was working fine?
2. Do you have any security program installed on the computer?
3. Have you made any recent software or hardware changes on the computer?

You may try the steps as below and check if the issue gets fixed.

Step 1:

You need to enable the services for system restore, to do that follow the steps provided below.

a. Click on Start button, now type in services.msc in the search programs and files and hit enter.
b. Now you need to check for the “volume shadow copy” service present in the services windows.
c. After selecting the “volume shadow copy” service you need to right click on the service and select properties and make the startup type as automatic and start the service.
d. Click ok, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2:

Also ensure that you disable any antivirus program on your computer and create a restore point before performing the above steps.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Creating system restore point manually:

a. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
b. In the left pane, click System Protection If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
c. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
d. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Follow the document below for additional help about creating System Restore Point:

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2022 Views 3,824 Applies to: