Drive Letters Changed - Windows Won't Boot - Can't Go To Safe Mode - 4096mb total memory.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit.  The hard drive is 500GB. This is a HP that provides Windows 7 OS on drive C: and System Recover Software on partition Drive D: 

The drive letter changed and Windows is no longer on C:  I can't get to the command prompt and can't log on in safe mode.  I tried to reinstall windows from my backup disks, however, the diagnostics indicates the Total Memory is 4096 mb.  I cannot restore back to factory because D: Recover Files is a different Letter. I have tried my Windows Repair Disks, System Recovery Disks, System Image Backups, and Advanced Repair Options in the Bios.  It was suggested that I try Bootrec.exe, however, I can't get to the command prompt.  The data is on the disk, however, unless I can change the drive letters back to normal, the only thing I am able to do is get into the Bios to change the boot order to boot from the CD Rom.

"C" is now "E", "D" is now "C" and "E" is now "C".  This laptop has an internal CD drive which used to be "E"  I can boot from the CD drive.  There is no floppy drive. 

Please help me since I have tried everything suggested on this forum or on the internet.  Thank you in advance. 

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed information on your issue.

I would suggest you to perform Automatic repair through an installation media and see if it helps you to repair the system files or not. For performing the task, I would suggest you to try the steps provided below and see if it helps.

Run Startup Repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

To run Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE), follow these steps:

• Insert the Windows installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.
  • If your PC does not detect the media automatically
    • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
    • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order, Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the Boot Order, then press Enter.
    • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
    • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart.
  • Select a language, a time and a currency, a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the drive of your Windows installation, and then click Next.
  • At the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Repair your computer.
  • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

For more information about System Recovery Options, see What are the system recovery options in Windows?

For more information about Startup Repair, see
Startup Repair: frequently asked questions.

If you don’t have an installation media then the link provided below might help you to download and create installation media.

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2023 Views 452 Applies to: