Disk Management from within Computer Management freezes when activated

I am trying to set a drive letter for one of my external hard drives. The way to do that is to go into Computer Management and then select Disk Management. I can get that far but when I select Disk Management it list all of my drives but then freezes up. In the bottom portion of the screen it says "Loading disk configuration information..." and does not show the disk information in the bottom screen. I have to use the task manager to end the program.

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Is there some other way to set a drive letter for a local hard drive?

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2020 Views 37,756 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Klondikes,

Try the following steps and check the result.
Step 1: Check if disk management freezes in safe mode
a. See Start your computer in safe mode
b. Open disk management and check if it works fine.

Step 2: If the issue does not persist in safe mode, try clean boot
a. Open the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
b. From the article, follow "Step 1: Perform a clean boot" Executing these steps will disable all the non Microsoft programs running on the computer.
c. Check if the issue persists.
d. If the issue does not persist in clean boot, it means that some non Microsoft program is causing the issue.
e. To find out the program that's causing the issue, try "Step 2: Enable half of the services" to "Step 6: Resolve the problem"
f. Once you find the culprit, check if there are any updates or patches for the program. If you find any, install them and check the difference or reinstall the latest program.
g. From the article, follow "Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual"

Step 3: Check if any system files are missing or corrupt. Run SFC (System File Checker) scan to find and fix missing or corrupt system files
a. Visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
b. Run the scan successfully.
c. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect and check the result.

See Change, add, or remove a drive letter

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.