Dell studio XPS, RAID, Windows 7, Slow start up, Very slow performance, Problem just started 5/21/2016

I am not well versed in fixing problems, looking for suggestions on how best to have the problem resolved. On 5/21/2016 the Dell studio XPS started slowing down, running slower and slower until a keystroke would take over 30 minutes to execute. The computer has a RAID hard drive configuration. The only change to the computer was Adobe Acrobat Reader DC downloaded. Everything was fine prior to this download. This may be a coincidence. The problem is this: When starting the computer it will take 350 to 400 seconds to get from power on to the desktop. The computer will operate normally for 10 or 15 minutes. After that period of time the computer becomes slower and slower with each task performed. It is a gradual degradation of performance. I have experienced a delay in shutting down Firefox or Photoshop of 30 to 45 minutes from the time I click the Red shutdown X to the time the desktop is empty and I can click on something else. I will do a shut down at this time. After a few moments I can restart the computer and when I get back to the desktop the performance is back to what I would expect when things were normal prior to 5/21/2016. If I continue working the performance will again begin to degrade until nothing can be done because actions take 30 minutes or more. I was able to run Trend Micro to scan my drives. Nothing was reported. I loaded MalwareBytes and ran that. Again, nothing reported. I got tech support at Trend to go into my computer and trouble shoot. The tech found no malware, viruses, etc. The tech disabled Trend at determined that Trend was not the cause of the slow down in performance. As the machine slowed down the tech looked at processor and memory usage. As the machine was bogging down the processor never went above 20% and the RAM never got above 3 gig in use. He said the performance was using very little of the resources and he had no idea why the machine was so slow. He directed me to this resource in Microsoft. I ran a check disk and nothing unusual was found. I checked defrag and that was at 0%. So it appears the machine runs very very slowly but it is not using any resources like something in the background is running full bore and using all the resources. The computer is 5 years old and is used mainly for Photoshop and Photodex. Any ideas what might be going on? Is this degrading of performance an indicator that there is undetectable malware present? Is there a hard drive failure in one of the RAID drives that is getting worse? I have an Acronis 2014 back up of the system on an external hard drive that was done before the issue appeared 5/21/2016. Should I take the computer to the shop and let them upgrade the drives? If it is a software issue, would reloading Windows 7 restore performance dependability to the levels I had prior to 5/21/2016? Would upgrading to Windows 10 resolve the issue? I am looking for suggestions from you good folks to figure out how to get the computer restored so I can get back to work on my graphics. Like I said, I am a klutz with virtually no computer repair and trouble shooting skills. Any helpful suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks so much. Rich

Hi Richard,

With the issue description, I understand that you are experiencing issues with the slow performance of your Windows 7 machine. I will certainly help you in getting this fixed.

This issue might occur due to software conflict or corruption in system/program files. Let's follow below mentioned steps and check if that helps:

Method 1: Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter

Follow the steps given below:

1. Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

2. Select the Troubleshooting option.

3. Select View All option and select the System Maintenance.

4. Click on Next to perform the System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Try method 2, if the issue persist

Method 2: Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan, refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Try method 3, if the issue persist          

Method 3: Run System Update Readiness Tool on your computer.

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Good Morning Neha,

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the detailed instructions you provided. Like I said, I am inept at that kind of stuff. I will try your suggestions this evening after work and report back with my findings.

Thanks again for your time and assistance. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day.

Rich

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good Morning Neha,

I used all three of your suggestions in conjunction with Trend Micro and Malware Bytes. I believe the issue of the slowly degrading performance on the computer has been resolved. The computer performance has been tested and found satisfactory.

A restart this morning took 90 seconds compared to 400 seconds worst case earlier in the week.

Normal work processing did not show any signs of system slow down over a two hour period.

System shutdown was about 90 seconds compared to a much longer delay prior to implementing your suggestions.

It was interesting to note that each of the programs I ran reported back that there were no problems. I am assuming that whatever the tools found were corrected with no remaining problems.

I think that things are back to normal. Thank you so much for your help. Your suggestion was well written and easy to follow, even for a clueless user like myself. You are very good at your job. Thanks again.

Regards, Richard Ryer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Richard,

Glad to know that your issue is sorted out and thank you for keeping us updated. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Regards

Neha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have a dell studio xps, I also have the same problem,  and I have found out that the system works a lot better In safe mode.  I hope this will help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 241 Applies to: