Defrag deletes system restore points

Whenever I use 3rd party defrag like defraggler it deletes all my system restore points. Is this a windows problem and how can it be resolved.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 2,364 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Chkdsk result rules out the exception.

Did you do this? Is Microsoft Security Essentials quarantining the file? Defragmenting could cause security software to detect an infected file. Check the virus vault and event log.

What appears in the Event Viewer System log?

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, right click and select Filter Current Log. Check the box before Error and click on OK and you see only Error reports. Click on the Date and Time Header to sort. You may need to click a second time to see the latest Report at the top.

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. Click on the Copy button to place a copy on your Clipboard and close Event Viewer. Now start your message and paste into the body of the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

Are there presently any restore points? If not create one. We need one to be removed for it to be recorded.

Hope this helps, Gerry Cornell
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Whenever I use 3rd party defrag like defraggler it deletes all my system restore points. Is this a windows problem and how can it be resolved.

Hi Doobs

This should not be happening?

I would recommend that you check with the developers of Defraggler for any know issues with Windows 7.

Piriform - Support: Defraggler
http://www.piriform.com/support

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Expert - Consumer
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.