Constant unhandled exceptions from msvcrt.dll on a 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate

Since yesterday morning, I've been seeing dozens of these errors pop up on my very new 64-bit Win 7 box. 

They crash whatever program I'm trying to run (Google Chrome, Google Desktop, anything with a Google toolbar, and--frustratingly-- the install/remove functions of just about anything.  I thought it might be spyware/virus, but my scans (with eset) have turned up nothing.  Trying to install SpyBot causes the error again, so I haven't been able to run it. :(

I would think it's a virus, but i read something somewhere tha seemed to suggest that it could merely be a boneheaded installer program overwriting a bad version of msvcrt.dll... But how do I find the right version of msvcrt.dll to put back?

Faulting application name: spybotsd162[1].tmp, version: 51.49.0.0, time stamp: 0x2a425e19

Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bda6f

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x00028b8b

Faulting process id: 0x100c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb351c43aba597

Faulting application path: C:\Users\George\AppData\Local\Temp\is-HM86H.tmp\spybotsd162[1].tmp

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll

Report Id: 8c9ad2e3-a10f-11df-aa8a-463500000031

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2019 Views 8,486 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Any idea how I might fix this?

Install 7-zip [1], run the tool and open the install.wim from the DVD and extract the PeerDist.dll to the HDD. Now set your account as owner of the file and give you full permissions. Now replace the old broken file with the DLL from the DVD.

[1] http://www.7-zip.org/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.