Computer freezes when i launch Firefox or Internet Explorer

Most of the time it freezes, sometimes I get lucky and it won't freeze.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.  Computer runs fine if I don't launch Firefox or IE.  I can use it for hours with no problems.  But the second I launch FF or IE the computer freezes.  FF & IE runs fine in safe mode with network enabled. 

Maybe its got to do with my wireless drivers conflicting with another driver? My wireless card is a Airlink 101 300N wireless PCI adapter.  The drivers was automatically downloaded through windows update, I tried to download it from the manufacturers website but windows says its not digitally signed drivers and i don't want to use F8 to bypass it all the time.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 1,152 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

It looks like a third party program is causing this problem.

I suggest you to do a clean boot to eliminate the program.

Troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows 7:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
     type the password, or click Continue.)
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart
7. Log back into your account.

You can try to determine which background program is causing the problem while the computer is in clean boot mode.

To find the process or program at cause follow the steps starting at enable half of the Services items, from the following article:

Refer this link for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

To restore your Normal startup:

1 .Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
 type the password, or click Continue.)
2. On the General tab, click Normal Startup.
3. When you are prompted, click Restart.

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.