clicking on windows explorer slows down computer

I am running Win 7 Ultimate on a ASUS P8Z68 mobo with an Intel i7 2600K processor.  Every once in a while when I click on Windows Explorer, my system would suddenly bog down like it's running in molasses on a cold day. 

To further indicate this problem, I've had this problem before on my older computer configuration (M4A78 with an AMD CPU) before I upgraded to the Intel configuration.    I've had this problem before upgrading from Win XP Pro to Win 7.   I've yet to find the cause of this problem looking in Task Mgr on Apps and processes.  Even with all applications closed down, the computer is still very slow, and I'm forced to reboot.

Can anyone provide me any idea or know where I can find the solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 30 Applies to:

In Windows 7 use Ctrl+Shift+Esc rather than Ctrl+Alt+Del. It gets you to Task Manager quicker. When the computer locks select Task Manager, the Performance tab, Resource Monitor, and Memory tab. What are the figures for Hardware Reserved, In Use, Modified, Standby and Free?

Is your Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the tip on Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

I can't give those values since it very seldom occurs, and I can't reproduce the problem whenever I want.  But I know I've looked at those values before and I couldn/t see anything out of the ordinary, and the Memory graph was not peaking out.

I'm running the 64-bit version.  I had this problem when I was running the 32-bit version of Win XP Pro.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just post the details at any random time. I just want to get a feel for your situation.

You could also post copies of error reports from Event Viewer.

Event Viewer Reports

1. Normally when an error occurs on your computer looking in Event Viewer should be your starting point for finding a solution. Most system related errors are logged and getting an exact copy of the relevant report is important. Unfortunately understanding the reports is not easy and most computer users need help with their interpretation. I have more to say later on interpretation.

2. Event Viewer comprises three main Windows logs. These are Application, Security and System. For troubleshooting purposes System is by far the most important.

3. To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System.

4. A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. You will see a button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event Viewer. This places a copy of the report into your Clipboard. Paste into the body your message. Make sure that this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

5. There are three types of Report, being Information, Warning and Error reports. In most situations it is Error Reports that offer the best information but occasionally Warning Reports provide useful clues.

6. All reports have date and time stamps and when troubleshooting it is important to concentrate on more recent reports. Study reports since the point when the computer was last booted and then check whether a similar report appeared in the previous session. If errors do not repeat investigation as to why they occurred is wasted effort.

7. Within individual reports the more important information is Event ID and Source as these help when looking for help on the internet. The description is equally important and copying the exact text for use as the search criteria greatly helps getting better results when using Google. Do not paraphrase descriptions when asking others for help.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.