Question

Q: Chkdsk error: Cannot open volume for direct access. This thread is locked from future replies

CHKDSK Does not work on the machine it gives me error:

Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1)

When i run it.

I have also tried a Clean Boot using the Clean boot instructions from Microsoft ( Via URL http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 )and then trying to run a CHKDSK From the command line prompt (cmd) in an administrator account and it still gives me error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I also have the Windows 7 CD available and admin of the computer. I am not sure how to get it so that CHKDSK Works properly on startup

Thanks

Answer

A:

Hello Mitcherator777,

Can you logon to your computer in normal mode or only in Safe mode?

This would be the best way to run Chkdsk:

1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.
2. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications)
3. Disconnect any external devices before installing.
4. Check your hard disk for any errors:
Click Start
Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click 'Run as Administrator'
At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

Let us know the status of your issue.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Marilyn,

This issue has been resolved I contacted Microsoft directly on the phone in September time frame.

Issue was found to be a dirty hard drive. as my 1 year limited manufacturer's warranty expired I have since as of last week purchased a new hard drive to resolve this issue.

Please Consider this issue to be resolved.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

105 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 159,420 Last updated: April 25, 2018 Applies to: