Changing Values in Numlock register

I want to change the value in the numlock register ao that numlock turns on at start up however when I look at the registery value i see the following number

KKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/ControlPanel/Keyboard/InitialKeyboardIndicators = 2147483648

I thought this would be 0 what will I affect if I change this to a different value

Thanks Jason

Question Info

Last updated July 22, 2019 Views 19,595 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Jasoman,

What Version of Windows are you running on the computer?

Modify the InitialKeyboardIndicators value to 2 (Do not type in any other value), to enable the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen.

Or you can run the fixit available in the link below to automatically accomplish this task.

How do I enable the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154529

(Article holds good for Windows 7)

Ensure that, you backup your registry before attempting anything in the registry

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Note: InitialKeyboardIndicators value is set to 2147483648 when the NUM Lock key is always turned on, to get the Num Lock working only when the NUM key is pressed.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K                                                                                                       

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our   Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.