cannot start bfe service access denied error 5

I am on a brand new laptop running Windows 7 SP1

After a Windows update, lost internet connectivity and firewall.   After much looking up of various error numbers, etc. on this support site, I have identified that the ICS service isn't working anymore.   More investigation showed that the BFE service was totally missing, hence the problem with connectivity and firewall.

I re-imported the bfe.reg file into the register and it is now showing in my services again, but when I try to start it I get  "Error 5: access denied"

I have already tried a SCF scan and there is nothing wrong.  I have also tried to restore the system to before the windows update, with no luck, the system says due to an unindentifiable error, the restoration could not complete.   I have no other point of restoration, since this is a new laptop.

can someone help on the BFE start error code please? 

Hi,

1. Do you receive any error message?
2. Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

BFE ties into many other features besides the firewall, and may even be required for a third-party firewall to function properly. I would recommend keeping this service enabled.

Method 1:
You may try disabling the security software and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software 
Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks

Method 2:
You may run the fix  it provide and check:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_security_diagnostic/

Method 3:
You may follow the steps provide and check:
a. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE
b. Right click on it-permissions
c. Click on ADD and type
d. Everyone and click ok
e. Now Click on Everyone
f. Below you have permission for users
g.Select full control and click ok
h. Now, open RUN and type
i. services.msc and click ok
j. Start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service

Important:
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article below:
Back up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Let me start by refuting just about everything that has been posted on the internet so far.

1. The system has been scanned for viruses and is clean.
  2. A known good version of the BFE registry key from a functional server (this is on a W2K8R2 server 64 bit) has been imported.
  3. the NT Service\BFE has been added to security.
  4. Permissions have been set to "Full" for the registry key.
  5. Downloading and implementing a third party software is not allowed (nor should it be needed).
  6. I've also tried a few other things that would not normally seem to be related. (don't ask).

Suffice it to say that if it has been mentioned more than three times in a Google/Bing search, I have tried it. ... Please note that rebuilding the OS is NOT an option nor should it be required. This is just a service and should have the ability to be removed/updated/re-added etc. without wiping the hard drive. ... Such a solution should be deemed unacceptable by any tech worth their cert!

So, given the above, I will be open to exploring possible solutions. I need something with some serious meat on the bones to put forward to the System Admins.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Considering the age of the thread and to avoid confusion, I would recommend creating a new thread so that the community can focus on that thread. Refer to the following link prior to posting a question so that you may provide all the relevant information, for us to help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Regards,
Anil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1. Do you receive any error message?
2. Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

BFE ties into many other features besides the firewall, and may even be required for a third-party firewall to function properly. I would recommend keeping this service enabled.

Method 1:
You may try disabling the security software and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software 
Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks

Method 2:
You may run the fix  it provide and check:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_security_diagnostic/

Method 3:
You may follow the steps provide and check:
a. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE
b. Right click on it-permissions
c. Click on ADD and type
d. Everyone and click ok
e. Now Click on Everyone
f. Below you have permission for users
g.Select full control and click ok
h. Now, open RUN and type
i. services.msc and click ok
j. Start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service

Important:
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article below:
Back up the registry
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

None of these options work with Windows 8, Does anyone know of a fix for this? Surely Microsoft should be able to sort their act out to share an Internet connection ??

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Solved all my services "error 5: acces denied " by doing this : icacls %windir%\system32 /Grant:r administrators:f /T /C /Q

then icacls %windir%\system32 /Grant:r system:f /T /C /Q

and for future peace : icacls %windir%\system32 /grant:r trustedinstaller:f /T /C /Q (because, as usual, errors 5 appeared after a security update ) .

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wired solution, but works !!!

Thank You !!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand how/why that works however anyone would agree thats not a good solution because of the security compromise on the system32 folder/files by granting those permissions. I'm going to check newer threads which hopefully have more of a real world solution than that. I am not dissing the solution as stupid, and in fact it is great to be resourceful and creative to be able to find solutions to problems, even if not ideal/secure.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 57,947 Applies to: