Cannot open temp file Access Denied

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. In the last few weeks I have had problems opening some files downloaded from the internet. These are standard files from well-known reputable sources. The latest is Firefox setup 28.0.exe . (I thought my browser Chrome might be causing the trouble)

Others are fdminst.exe, Virtualbox-43.4-91207win.exe and Avast-browser-cleanup.exe. 

I click and get the usual message Run or Save. I click Run and get the error message ""Cannot open File C:\stuart\appdata\local\temp\filename .tmp". Sometimes the message has The name 7Zip as the title. I never use 7Zip and don't have it installed. The error messages vary slightly - even for two attempts at the same file! But are always about the same sometimes with Access Denied.

There are no other users.

Have I got a virus? I use AVG and also periodically Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but they have found nothing.

Finally I have downloaded some other files and have opened them with no difficultyy.

Can anyone help ?

|
Answer
Answer

Being that the usual "temp" directory is different for each user, a possible work-around would be for you to create another user on your computer that has Administrator privilege.  Then logoff your normal user account and log into your computer as this new user and try to do some of your installs while logged in as the new administrator user.  This *should* use a brand-new clean "temp" directory to do the installation.  Hopefully this will work.

Something else:  On my computer, there is a "C:\Windows\Temp" directory.  It is possible that this is the directory that it is trying to use instead of the usual user-profile temp directory.  If you have this folder, you might want to right-click on it -> Properties -> Security (tab) and verify that "Administrators" have full access to this directory.

HTH,

JW

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2020 Views 30,982 Applies to: