Question

Q: Blue Screen! Asus Laptop Windows 7 64 bit

I have an ASUS laptop that is running Windows 7 64 bit.  It blue screens every once in a while.  I haven't noticed this at any specific time or when I am running a particular program.  It is completely random; some days it will blue screen several times, and other days it won't at all.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ayungwi,

·        Since when are you facing this issue?

·        Did you make any changes to the computer before the issue started?

I would suggest you to disable Automatic Restart on system failure and try to make note of the error message and reply back with the exact error message you receive on the blue screen. Once we have the exact error message we will be in a better position to determine the exact nature of the issue and fix it.

Follow the steps below to disable Automatic restart on system failure:

a. Click on Start.

b. Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System from the list of results.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step d.

c. Click on the System link.

d. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

e. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

f. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to automatically restart.

g. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

h. Click OK in the System Properties window.

You can now close the System window.

From now on, when the computer shuts down the PC will not automatically reboot and you will receive the error message, make a note of it and post it back.

Alsoyou may open event viewer and check if there are any other significant error messages/codes. Refer the link below for more details:

What information appears in event logs (Event Viewer)?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

You may also access the link and follow the steps to troubleshoot some if the common bluescreen errors on the computer.

Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7

Hope this helps and postback with the required information.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

If it is installed on your machine, Uninstall Asus Automatic Update!

HTH

If I brought you Joy, cast your Vote! If I answered your question, click, Propose As Answer! >WT<

Sorry this didn't help.

Srinivas R,

This has been happening since very soon after I bought this computer.  I don't remember exactly how soon it started; I would say within the first week.  I probably installed iTunes, Microsoft Office, Firefox, and my printer software either before this started happening or shortly thereafter.

I looked and the automatic restart was already disabled.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for in the event viewer.  There are a lot of error messages.

I went into system restore and it didn't find any affected programs or drivers.

I have scheduled memory and hard disc checks for the next time I reboot my computer.

I will post the error message the next time the computer blue screens.

Thanks,

Amy

Sorry this didn't help.

WillTell,

What does Asus Automatic Update do?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is Bloatware that usually Asus preinstalls on their computers, it checks/connects to Asus servers to check for and install updates for drivers/their preinstalled programs, it is known to cause lockup, bluescreen issues. Look for it in your Control Panel, Programs and Features.

If I brought you Joy, cast your Vote! If I answered your question, click, Propose As Answer! >WT<

Sorry this didn't help.

A bugcheck (BSOD) is a mechanism to protect your PC from damage.

To see the cause I have to take a look at the dumps with the Debugging Tools for Windows.

Please start the Windows Explorer and go to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump. Next, copy the dmp files to your desktop, zip all dmp into 1 zip file and upload the zip file to your public Skydrive [1] folder and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know when the last blue screen occurred? If yes you will find it easily by looking in the System log of Event Viewer at the time and date it occurred. It will show as an Error.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System.

Place the cursor on System, right click  and select Filter Current Log. Check the box before Error and click on OK and you see only Error reports. Click on the Date and Time Header to sort. You may need to click a second time to see the latest Report at the top. 

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

Hope this helps, Gerry Cornell
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

WillTell,

I tried that.  Hopefully it helps.

Thanks, Amy

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerry,

There are too many error messages in there right now, and I don't remember exactly when the last blue screen occured, but I will definately check it out immediately after the next time it happens.

Thanks, Amy

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 28,349 Last updated: June 18, 2018 Applies to: