Backup: System Image Vs. Full Back Up? I ran both and thought that Full Back Up would be the most comprehensive back up. That took 3 DVD's. Then I ran System Image which took 5 1/4 DVD's. Someone explain the diffrences? (Running WIN 7 Ultimate)

Backup:  System Image Vs. Full Back Up?  I ran both and thought that Full Back Up would be the most comprehensive back up.  That took 3 DVD's.  Then I ran System Image which took 5 1/4 DVD's.  Someone explain the diffrences? (Running WIN 7 Ultimate)

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2019 Views 137,202 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi Michaeld218,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Answers!

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration—you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the contents of the system image.

Although this type of backup includes your personal files, we recommend that you back up your files regularly using Windows Backup so that you can restore individual files and folders as needed. When you set up Windows Backup, you can let Windows choose what to back up, which will include a system image, or you can select the items that you want to back up and whether you want to include a system image.

Full backup  is the starting point for all other backups and contains all the data in the folders and files that are selected to be backed up. Because the full backup stores all files and folders, frequent full backups result in faster and simpler restore operations. Remember that when you choose other backup types, restore jobs may take longer.
Full backups, if you have the time to perform them, offer the best solution in data protection. In effect, a single backup can provide the ability to completely restore all backed-up files.

For more information about setting up Windows Backup, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-your-files

Information on System Image can be found under this article:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-a-system-image

For more information about backups you can follow this article as well:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

105 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.