Backup and Restore: Saving more than 1 system image(most recent) on a network location

Hello,

I am setting up several workstations Windows 7 Professional to backup to a network share on a NAS.

Backups are working fine. I would like to save a few System Images to the network share, not just one. 

On the Manage Space option I get the following:

System Images

Your backups are being saved on a network location. Only the most recent system image will be retained 

And the Change Settings button is greyed out.

Question: Is there a way or hack (or registry hack) to save more than just the recent system image to a network share??

Thank you,

Diego

Answer
Answer

Hey ReliableIT,

It is not possible to create multiple system images for network share and optical media. This is because of the fact that they do not support shadow copy. Shadow copy is a technology that takes a snapshot of a file or folder at a given point in time, and stores that snapshot for a configured amount of time. Because of this reasoning, only one system image per computer can be stored at a time (as the .vhd file i.e virtual hard disk file format). Any newer backup created will replace the older backup.

NTFS formatted internal or external hard disks supports Volume Shadow Copy, hence they support storing multiple versions of backup image. Hope this answers your query.

For more help, please post your concerns at TechNet forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 1,909 Applies to: