Acer Netbook computer keeps slowing down System Manager Processes says CPU 9% Ram 97% seems high.

Original Title: Memory Drain
Have a Acer Netbook with Win7 Home Premium an 2 GB ram. Seem to have amemory drain problem.  the computer keeps slowing down in use  System Manager Processes says CPU 9% Ram 97% seems high. Acer says adding ram invalidates warranty. MSFT says should have 4 GB Ram. Catch 22 ? Any ideas

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 610 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Most netbooks are pretty low in horsepower and come with Windows 7 Starter.  Did you upgrade to Home Premium?  In any event, 97% RAM usage does seem high, but Windows 7 was designed to try to optimize performance by doing more with RAM, so the utilization of it will naturally be higher than you'd expect to see with earlier versions of Windows.  As I said though, netbooks aren't designed for heavy use.  If you have a lot of started tasks running, that could be a problem.  I ran Windows 7 Home Premium in 2 GB on a desktop for about a year with minimal problems, but you should probably run MSCONFIG and minimize the things that get loaded when you boot up.

To do that click Start and in the search box type in MSCONFIG, then click on MSCONFIG in the Programs list.  Then click the Startup tab and uncheck everything except your antivirus program, then click Apply.  Next click the Services tab and then click "Hide all Microsoft Services".  Again disable everything except your antivirus software then click OK.  Reboot and see if it doesn't improve performance.

If you still have a performance problem, you may just have to buy something like a notebook with more RAM and a faster processor (like an Intel I3 or an AMD quad core).  I've seen them advertised for around $350.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.