Question

Q: instant shutdown using flash player.

I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 32bit a couple months ago from windows XP on my Gateway laptop. I don't know why my computer keeps shutting down everytime I play either a video or games mainly using adobe flash player. This always happens while doing any flash applets, surfing the web, and playing games on my computer.  It will freeze up for about a second and then just shut off completely to immeidate power off. It won't even allow me to restart right after it shut downs. The computer will act like it's going to restart & then shut down again a few times. I have to wait about 10-15 minutes to be able to restart it.

I have unistalled & reinstalled flash player, restored the computer to a previous state, made sure that all my drivers are updated & even tried to the system recovery/troubleshoot in windows 7.  Please HELP! This only started after I upgraded.

Answer

A:

If the laptop is powering off, it may be overheating. Consider checking the event logs (Event Viewer in Administrative Tools) to see if there are any noteworthy events.

Consider updating your BIOS, as well, if possible.

Also, check the behavior with a clean boot.

Can you check that any fans are working, and are clear of dust?   Heat sinks should be clear of dust as well.  You aren't using the laptop on a soft surface, are you?  Try using it on top of something like a cooling pad, if you have one, or something that can keep it elevated a few inches above the surface of a table (but still relatively "open" underneath).   If you keep the laptop cool(er than "normal"), does that affect the problem?  

Over time, a laptop can collect dust in a bunch of places.  The dust impedes heat dissipation and airflow, which can contribute to the type of problems you're having.  Depending on the model laptop, it can be relatively straightforward to blow out the dust with compressed air, or otherwise clean things up a bit.   Fans should be held in place though - not allowed to spin when being blown off.  My Dell laptop has a removable fan (two small screws need to be removed) that can be blown out easily.  This also provides access to the heat sink fins.

Some laptops also have a removable filter that traps dust, and should be periodically checked and cleaned.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 989 Last updated: March 15, 2018 Applies to: