Question

Q: Logging off hangs - logoff issue This thread is locked from future replies

I have upgraded my Dell E1505 laptop from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium.  Everything seems to work except when I try to shut down the system, when the system reaches Logging Off state, it remains in that state indefinitely.   At this time I have to force down shutdown by pushing the laptop on/off button.  In the next bring up, the Windows compalins that the system did not shutdown properly.

I have turned off all start-up program (from msconfig) and problem is still there.  I have created a new user with a new profile, and the same thing applies.  The shutdown works only if I start up the system in safe mode, and the shut down.  Otherwise, the logging off message hangs.

Any idea?  Thanks.

Answer

A:

Hey San Diego 78,

Since you confirmed in your post that shutting down is successful when in safe mode, it is very likely that some third party services or application is interfering with the shut down process.

Perform clean boot to find out the source of the problem.

The steps to be performed in clean boot are given below:
1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
4. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
6. Restart your computer.

The shutdown should go successful this time as all the third party services are disabled.

If it goes successful, we definitely know for sure that one of these services is causing the problem. Follow the elimination steps provided in the article below to determine the culprit.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1.   Click start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
 If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2.       On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
3.       When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

If clean boot fails to find the root cause, then let’s move on to hardware clean boot to determine if any hardware is posing this problem.

1. Go to start and type device manager.
2. Select device manager from the Control Panel list.
3. Right Click on Sound Card, Video Adapter, and Network Adapter one by one and click disable.
4.  Reboot the computer.  If the problem is fixed then you can enable the hardware devices one by one to find the exact device that caused the problem.

After you found the device that is causing the problem, installing the device’s latest driver should fix it unless it’s a hardware issue.

For help with driver updates, see:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Tips for fixing common driver problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-driver-problems

If nothing helps, please check your event viewer log for details on the shutdown error.

Refer this article below for help with the same.

What information appears in event logs (Event Viewer)?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Post back for further assistance.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 330 Last updated: March 15, 2018 Applies to: