Question

Q: Vertical lines on Dell XPS M1330

I have a Dell XPS m1330 for over a year now and the warranty is up. It originally came with Vista and when Windows 7 came out i bought it and installed it. I've used the hardware compatibility to make sure my notebook could handle Windows 7 before i installed it and it all passed. After installing i updated all the drivers and got everything to work fine with the new OS. A few months go by and it starts acting up, freezing then shutting off, restarting. After it comes back from freezing it will be a black screen and all fuzzy then restarts and all i will see is Vertical lines with 1 big thick black line towards the middle right of the screen. I've tried plugging in a VGA cable to my notebook and switching it to my desktop monitor and it works but all i would see is a blue screen with a bunch of "S" all over the place and distorted writing.

I've done the FN+POWER button and went through the whole diag process and found no hardware or memory problem. I was told it was my screen/inverter so since the inverter was cheaper i replace that and it worked fine for about 30min and acted up again. So i assume it would be my screen, but how would the screen make the notebook restart?

Answer

A:

Hi tsunamichow,

1.      Check if the issue persists in safe mode, to boot the computer in safe mode, restart the computer and press and hold F8 key (Press and hold f8 key before the windows logo). From the advanced boot option select ‘Safe mode’.

Link you may refer to: Start you computer in safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

2.      Please provide us the exact error message or error code in event viewer. Steps to follow:

i.           Click Start, in the search box type in Event viewer

ii.         In event viewer windows, expand Windows logo

iii.       Select Application and check.

If you have any error code or error message please reply back to help us troubleshoot better.

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

3.      If the issue does not persist in safe mode, then boot the computer in clean boot and check which third party is causing the problem. To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Follow the Steps listed below in the link to perform clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 Might be some third party application or program is causing the issue.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

i.                    Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

ii.                  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

iii.                On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

iv.                 When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 2,212 Last updated: March 15, 2018 Applies to: