Windows 7 Media Center causes blank Monitor

I am using Windows 7 as an HTPC hooked up to a 42 inch plasma tv.  I have Media Center set to open on start-up at which point everything works great.  I will occasionally close or minimize Media Center in order to check email on the machine.  When I try to go back into Media Center my screen goes completely blank about 70% of the time.  Minimizing vs a full close/open of Media Center doesn't seem to matter.  CTRL-ALT-DEL or ALT-TAB don't work either.  My only solution is to do a hard reset.

Is there anyone else out there with this same issue?

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 760 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Rdash23,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Community Forum!

In order to fix your issue, suggest you to try performing clean boot. To perform clean boot, follow the below mentioned steps and verify if it fixes your problem.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
  2. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  3. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
  4. Click OK.
  5. When you are prompted, click Restart.
  6. After the computer starts, run Windows Updates and install the available updates.

Note: Make a note of all the updates those were installed. You can do this by reviewing the update history from Windows Updates website, by opening it from the control panel.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot and then installing the updates, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also, see the section on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual”.

In addition, would suggest you to temporarily disable all the security software and check if it fixes the issue.

Hope this helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Supreeth - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/threads/ and let us know what you think

Rohit S

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.