Windows 7 dual monitor issues

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a Dell Latitude notebook computer.  When it is docked I have dual external monitors.  My primary monitor is DVI and the secondary monitor is VGA.  Recently I have noticed that my primary display is darker than my secondary display.  I checked my brightness and contrast controls on both monitors and they are set properly. The weird part is that my mouse pointer is the same brightness on both monitors, but the applications and desktop appear to be faded on my primary monitor. 

What would cause this? What settings should I check?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2018 Views 2,168 Applies to:
Answer

Hi acoustix,

1.    Was the brightness and color working fine before on both the monitors?

2.    Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

Dell laptops like my Latitude D500, D600, and D820s only support two displays at once. So, you can connect one external monitor and use it side-by-side with the laptop’s built-in LCD display or you can use two external monitors and close your laptop’s lid. But you can’t keep your laptop open and use the built-in LCD display along with two external monitors.

If this was working fine before and suddenly stopped working I would suggest that you update the display drivers for laptop and both the monitors by visiting its respective manufacturer websites download and install the latest drivers and check.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.