External hard drive space descrepancy

Hi

I have a 500gb Western Digital external hard drive which shows I actually have a total of 465gb (I understand this). Currently it says I have 277 gb free but the files I have saved on there amount to no more then 100gb, so shouldn't it have 365gb available. Also about once a month it says there is not enough room to complete a back up even though on my c drive it shows I only have about 135gb of stuff, so I have to dlete my previous back ups and start again, why is this  

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2018 Views 345 Applies to:
Answer

If you are using Windows 7's Backup and Restore it's drive space requirements are shall we say somewhat unique. You must have at least 30% to 50% more space on the USB drive than you internal drive (the 30 to 50% number depends on how you interprit the documentation). Also do you have a 'Recycle Bin' and is so have you deleted your earlier backups from the bin?

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.