Back up Failed

I have three external dirves, that were backed up each night on a vista machine by WHS.  I purchased a new machine, with Win 7, and moved the drives to the new machine.  I then installed the connector for WHS, and configured the back up.  Each night the back up backs up the hard drive on the new machine, but fails on the external drives.  I moved them back to the old machine and they back up fine.  When I move them back to the win7 machine, the internal harddrive backs up, but the external drives will not anymore.  Does whs put a file to conncet the drives to a certain machine or something?  How do I get the drives to back up some the new machine?

I also moved an intenal drive from the old machine to and it does the same thing...

Help, if you can..

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 587 Applies to:
Answer

Hey, 

a. Did you check whether the external drive is listed in the Windows home Server console? 

There could be a possibility that the external drive might be recognized by the Windows Home Server(WHS) as just a additional storage for the data. 

Hence check the status of external hard drive. Here’s how to do it: 

Adding External Drive for WHS Folder Backup

Step 1:

After plugging in the external drive open Windows Home Server Console and you’ll see the drive listed and that it’s not added yet. Right-click and select Add from the menu.

Step 2:

The Add a Hard Drive Wizard kicks off…

Step 3:

In the next screen it’s important to select the radio button next to Use this hard drive to back up files that are stored on your home server. Otherwise WHS will add it as additional storage for your data which is not what we want.

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.