Question

Q: Reported Used Space on Drive C continues to climb, but no data is actually added; ultimately I get drive full error when the drive is 90% unused

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista Home Premium (64 bit each).  Other than that, I don't believe there has been any hardware or software changes in months.  My C drive (SATA II, NTFS format) has a capacity of 500 GB, although I don t have more than 60 GB of material on it, which is the amount reported on bootup.  However, after some usage, the hard drive "appears" to be adding data at the rate of 50 GB an hour, as if some video is being recorded to the hard drive, which it is not.  In fact, if I disconnect from the internet, the reported disk usage still continues to climb.  Within a day, I get a Disk Full error and I cannot save anything.  In other words, if I right click on the Drive C icon after booup, then click Properties, I see that the drive will be 60 GB used, or a11% of so, but an hour later it will report drive use at 20%, or 100 GB, and an hour after that it's showing 150 GB of hard drive use, etc.  If I re-boot and then check the hard drive usage again, Properties will report only the actual 60 or so GB of use, but an hour later, I'm back up to 100 GB and so on until Disk Full appears again and I can't save a simple Word document.  Ideas on what is causing this?

Answer

A:

Thanks, Varun. By the time you posted your five methods, I had independently tried each of those and none solved the problem.  Ultimately, watching the CPU usage, I felt that there was something wrong with csrss.exe, and then I came upon KB 555021, which said that the cause of csrss.exe usage (which really deals with extreme CPU usage and not necessarily hard disk usage, though I had both) was a corrupt user profile.  To make a long story short, that had to be the problem because after deleting the user profile (and bringing all of the deleted user's information into the newly created user profile), the problem seems to finally be licked.  It was, however, maddening and quite time consuming.  Not only is my hard drive problem solved, but the computer is very quick now because the CPU is not competing with csrss.exe.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 914 Last updated: March 15, 2018 Applies to: