Backups to changing locations

I'm backing up to external USB HDDs using the Windows utility.
I plug the HDD in and out just for backups and it can be assigned a different location by Windows (drive letter eg. I:, J: etc) from the last backup. I can change to the new location with "Change settings" but Windows wants to do another backup as well to the "new" location.
Question: what do I do to tell windows to default to a new drive letter so that I can use the "Manage space" function without forcing another backup?
I'd rather not permanently assign drive letters to the removable HDDs paritions.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 262 Applies to:
Answer

Hi m_south_a,

Unfortunately, the only way to accomplish that would be to either keep the external hard disk plugged in all the time to the computer or recreate the backup to the new drive letter.

The other option is to permanently assign a drive letter, which you do not wish to.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.