Computer does not respond after waking it from sleep mode

This is beginning to happen more frequently.

I put my computer to sleep, and 5 minutes within logging and using anything (ex. google chrome or itunes), the application freezes.  I then click alt-control-delete, but it never pops up (usually works).  Then i go the taskbar and it shows a "explorer.exe not responding...".  Then the whole computer just freezes, and then only thing i can do is hold down the power button for a force shutdown.

My wife's computer is also windows 7, and it always works (doesn't "not respond") when she wakes it from sleep.  So its something with my computer.

Is there any solution for this?

Question Info

Last updated November 6, 2018 Views 5,796 Applies to:
Answer

Hi XxRicyxX,

1) Do you recall making any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Step 1: Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...)  Except mouse and the keyboard and then test to see if the issue persists

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue.  Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Step 2: Run the power troubleshooter and check if that corrects this issue

Open the Power troubleshooter
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Power-troubleshooter

Step 3:  Put the computer in clean boot, allow the computer to sleep and then test

Follow Step 1 in the link below

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem.

Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service.

After you figure out the problem causing program, you may have to update or install a higher version of the program, if you seldom use that software you can consider uninstalling it.

Important: Remember to put the computer back to normal startup follow step 7 in the link.

Thanks and Regards:
Ajay K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.