power management for External Hard Drive

I use my computer to record Broadcast TV show everyday.  That man I have to leave it on all the time.  With Win 7's power management, it goes to sleep after a few minute of inactivities.  But my External Hard Drive stay on all the time.  Is there any way I could set to make my External Hard Drive goes to sleep at the same time as my computer does?(My External Hard Drive is home made, that mean I bought an enclosure and add a hard drive in with USB/eSATA connection).    I have another computer that have a 2TB Seagate External Hard Drive that come with the software that would goes to sleep when the computer idle.   

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2018 Views 896 Applies to:
Answer

Hi pkmicro,

I am afraid to say that you would not be able to set the external hard drive to sleep however you may search on the World Wide Web if there is any software available.

Use your favorite search engine to search such software if available.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.