Question

Q: WLAN autoconfig won't start instead it gives me an error 1068

My wi-fi capability of my PC has been rendered inoperable. From research I was able to determine that my Windows Wireless Service (aka WLAN autconfig) was  not starting automatically at startup. I tried getting it to start manually from the Services utility but then I got an error 1068 message. I then enabled *all* group dependency services to be enabled at startup, but still my Wi-Fi won't work. I can tell because the "manage wireless services" prompt is missing from the network sharing conrtrol panel. What should I do?

Answer

A:

Hi JohnHeffernan,

·         Does the wireless connection has ever worked correctly before?

·         Are you an administrator of the computer?

·         How long have you been facing this issue?

·         Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

Follow the methods listed below:

Method 1: After restarting the computer, check for the status of the wireless service -WLAN AutoConfig and ensure that it’s started and the startup type is set to “Manual”.

Follow these steps:

a.       Click “Start”, type “services.msc” in the Start search box and hit “Enter”.

b.      Locate “WLAN AutoConfig”.

c.       Right-click the service and select “Properties”.

d.      Select “Manual” from the “Startup type” drop box.

e.      Click “Start” to start the service.

f.        Click “OK”.

Method 2: You may temporarily disable antivirus software (and any other security software) and firewall on the computer as a test and check if that fixes the issue.

If disabling the antivirus software fixes the issue, you may have to configure the settings of the antivirus program accordingly. Please contact the software vendor for further assistance in this regard.

Note: Make sure you enable the antivirus software, other security programs, and firewall.

Warning: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3: Refer the following link for information on troubleshooting wireless connection problem. In particular, refer to Kevin Hau MSFT, Moderator’s response posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:42 AM:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/43f61a9c-069b-49ab-9f5b-f52ec2b1ef7e

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 5,539 Last updated: May 5, 2018 Applies to: