Can I uninstall Windows Live Mail 2011? I prefer the older versions.

original title: Windows Live Mail 2011
I finally took the step to upgrade to Windows 7,  then installed windows live mail desktop,  which I like a lot  (and have been using for the past 2yrs on XP)  . . . BUT !!! Then disaster strike !  my friendly Windows updates suggested a essential update for Windows Live Mail,  I agreed on this nice gesture and after the restart, eagerly opened my trusted mail to see what has changed.
Disgust !  the only word I could think of,  everything swithced to a MS Outlook clone ! (Just let me qualify . . . I DO NOT LIKE MS OUTLOOK AT ALL!)  Why dit MS start out with this nice No-Nonsense clean interfaced and easy to use mail client and then go and change it into this cumbersome MS Outlook clone ?
Sorry for the rant and rave,  I tried to hide as much as possible of the outlook icons etc, but it is still a pain.  

Question:  Could one just uninstall the windows live 2011 and re-install the previous version,   and,  how long would it still be supported (windows live mail without the bling) , or do one Just HAVE to accept this thing.  If I revert back, would the mail format be the same and importable into the older version ?     Maybe it is time to start looking elsewhere ?

Don't fix stuff that's not broken

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 4,690 Applies to:
Answer

The version of Windows Live Mail in Windows Live Essentials 2011 has a ribbon user interface like Outlook 2007/2010.  I understand your unhappiness -- some people love the ribbon, and some people hate it.

You can un-install Windows Live Essentials 2011 and then download and install the old version from this web page: Windows Live Mail for Windows XP .  It works on Windows 7.  As a precaution, make a backup copy of the Windows Live Mail storage folder first.

I don't know how long the old version will be supported. For the answer to that and other Windows Live Mail questions, please go to the Mail Client Portal at the Windows Live Solution Center . They can help you better than we can in this Windows 7 forum.

Boulder Computer Maven
Microsoft Most Valuable Professionalh
Steve Winograd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.