"Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup."

I have a laptop and a desktop which were both participaing in a Homegroup.  It stopped working, so I tried to "leave the Homegroup" from both machines, intending to recreate it.  By the way, standard networking and file sharing is still working.  The desktop allowed me to leave the Homegroup, but I receive the "Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup" message on the laptop.  I have run the network and homegroup troubleshooters numerous times on both machines.  I have also researched and tried everything I could find on the web, with no sucess.  Please tell me how I can reset the Homegroup settings on my laptop.
Mark S. Freeman
Answer
Answer

Here is a solution that might work.  It worked for me. 

"Researched the problem and found the solution. A file was corrupted and deleting it got the PNRP service running. The file was recreated correctly when the PNRP service started up. Here's the file for future reference:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

Solution given by Streetwolf on Windows 7 Forums

Link is below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/29060-cant-start-peer-name-resolution-protocol.html

72 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2022 Views 99,832 Applies to: