Windows 8 homegroup via wireless with Windows 7 computer password security warning

I apologize at the start for being so inept but I just don't get how computers talk to each other.
Never have and it frustrates me no end. I'm sure I'm making this infinitely more complicated than it really is.

I have two computers, one Windows 8, one Windows 7 and I want to share/move files between them.
As I understand it, that means none of the standard XP compatibility issues are involved.
I've gotten to the various homegroup folders and pages so I know where they are and what they ask.
Both computers show up with their names on each others networks on the libraries, etc., sidebar in folders.
The Windows 8 computer has a homegroup set up with its folders to share.
The Windows 7 sees that homegroup, so I'm pretty sure I'm OK with the basic arrangements.

If I click the other computer's symbol under the network sign on either one, I get Windows Security asking for User Name and Password.
What user name and password are they referring to?
The password created for me in the homegroup section?
Is the User name one I just create or does it have to be the computer name?
Are the name and password for my wireless router ever involved?
I would like the Windows 8 to be the primary computer but do I need to have each computer join the other's homegroup

I also have a Workgroup involved on the Windows 8, generically named Workgroup.
When I go to systems to confirm or change the computer name, if I select Workgroup, I get the following:
You cannot join a computer running this edition of Windows 8 to a domain.
Yet both computers, when I get the Security prompt, have a domain name.
Should I be concerned about that?  
Will the Workgroup be distinct from the Homegroup if I establish one for work purposes?

Again, I apologize for my inability to grasp some of these things.
Believe me, no one likes it less than me.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I would like to tell you that you can try to enter the username and password created in the Homegroup section and check.

You can create a Homegroup on one computer and make that as primary computer and make other computers join the Homegroup.

I would suggest you to refer to these links for more information related to Homegroup.

Why can't I connect to other PCs?

Where can I find my homegroup password?

HomeGroup from start to finish

Hope this answers your query.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 244 Applies to: