Question

Q: Windows 7 Wireless networking - keeps returning profiles I delete

Hi,

I just got my work laptop upgraded to windows 7 and am having major problems with connecting to the wireless.  So first thing I want to do is remove all profiles but my main one, so simple, go into manage wireless networks,  click on a connection then right click on it and say remove connection, then it goes away and pops back up 2 second later.  The connection is 3000 miles away so it is not finding it.  Also, when I reorder, it changes it back.  Also when I reboot wireless comes up enabled.  I was proficient in XP but ready to throw laptop across room.

HELP!!

Thank you,
Alison

Answer

A:

I also had the same problem that even after removing the wifi profile, it kept reconnecting to it.

After reading through this thread, I figured out that it is not being stored by Windows, but by the 3rd party wifi managers (in my case it's Intel PROSet/Wifi connection utility) which automatically stores all profiles to which you have (successfully?) connected to in the past.

So no wonder that it was creating and putting the other profile back to use, as soon as my preferred network was momentarily not available. Just went into it's management utility and changed the profiles there. It is working fine now. I think most of the new computers come with such utility pre-installed on their computers now, when you install their drivers.

Just writing it here, so that hopefully others might get a clue from here as well and look into something in that direction.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

35 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

Hi Alison,

From your post I understand that after deleting wireless networks, it keeps reappearing and you want to get rid of the wireless networks, is that right?

Are you able to connect to the internet via the wireless connection otherwise?

Instead of removing individual unwanted connections, let’s remove all the wireless networks listed and then reboot the computer and try connecting to verify if that fixes the issue.

Follow the steps mentioned below to help resolve the issue.

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.

2. Open Network and Sharing Center.

3. Click Manage Wireless Networks.

4. Remove all wireless network listed in this list.

5. Restart computer and reconnect to your wireless network.

Additionally you may uninstall and re-install wireless network adapter from Device Manager to be on a safer side.

To uninstall the wireless connection from Device Manager,

1. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.

2. Locate Network adapters and expand the same.

3. Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer, if prompted.

Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.

Now, you may install the latest wireless drivers and check if that fixes the issue.

If you're facing issues connecting to a wireless network, I'd recommend updating the firmware of your router as well as updating your wireless network adapter's drivers.

The majority of connection problems within Windows 7 have been solved by installing the latest driver for the wireless network adapter obtained from the manufacturer. Download and install the Windows 7 compatible drivers and check if the issue gets fixed.

Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on updating drivers:   Update drivers: recommended links

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links

Hope this helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 183,738 Last updated: June 15, 2018 Applies to: