Windows 7 will not leave the homegroup

I originally was set up for a homegroup on my home network but set up a new one some time later. My laptop that is running windows 7 home is still connected to that homegroup and refuses to leave it. The laptop can even see the new homegroup but when I enter the password it says it can not join the homegroup. What can I do to have my laptop join the homegroup?

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2020 Views 23,334 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Mike08330,

1.     Do you get any error when you try to leave the ‘Homegroup’?

You can try the below methods to fix this issue.

Method 1:

Try to disable the Homegroup services and then try to leave the Homegroup, ‘HomeGroup Listener’ and ‘HomeGroup Provider’.

a.     Click on Start and type ‘Services.msc’ to select and open the services panel.

b.     Look for the following services:

HomeGroup Listener

HomeGroup Provider

c.      Stop the service, and then double click on the service to open Properties dialog.

d.     Set its Startup type to Disabled. Click OK when done. 

e.     In order to reinstate Homegroup functionality in the future, you will want to set the Startup type back to Manual.

e.

The HomeGroup icon and group will no longer be shown in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer in Windows 7. Note that this does not interrupt "traditional" windows networking functionality (e.g., Map Network Drive).

Refer the following link for more information:

Change HomeGroup settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-HomeGroup-settings

Method 2:

a.     Go to the following location and rename the file:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

b.     Right click on the file and rename the file to idstore.old

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.