Windows 7 Pro client + Windows 2000 Domain Controller: trust relationship failed. I can't add a domain user account! Help!

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro and am unable to create a domain user profile on my laptop at work. Our PDC is running Windows 2000 Server. I am told that "the trust relationship has failed" between my computer and the domain controller. I have tried everything.

I disabled my network adapter, changed my computer's name, deleted the original local admin profile, created a new one, cleared the local DNS cache, deleted my computer's active-directory record and DNS record from the DC, re-enabled the adapter, re-joined the domain, and it STILL won't let me connect.

The local machine's time is within a minute of the DC's (though I get an 'access denied' message when I try to resync it with the DC using w32tm), and I can't think of anything else it might be... Help!

Additionally, I have disabled IPv6, the Firewall, the QOS packet scheduler, all the network discovery modules, changed the local computer policy settings vis a vis authentication to ensure complicity with our Windows 2000 group policy, repeated the entire process as outlined above, and still with no success.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Right I had the same problem when I upgraded a Dell laptop from XP to Windows 7 Professional

I too am using a Windows 2000 Server PDC

I could create an AD entry for the laptop on the Domain controller but could not add a domain user within the same process.

I got the "Trust Relationship between this workstation and the Domain has failed" Error message

The answer for me was to switch user and log onto the computer using the <DOMAIN>\<Username>

This user MUST be a network administrator.

Then go to the Account manager and you will be able to add Domain users in the normal way.

Note

I setup a local user on the laptop initially with the same name and password as the network administrator and gave it administrator rights.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are seeing a similar problem in a 2000 PDC environment, mostly on machines that have been imaged back to a default install.

We think it might have something to do with the SID's on the machine, but we need more information on how this is implemented in a 2000 domain with win7 clients.

The above solution does not always resolve the issue as an existing user and computer account may still lose its trusted relationship. If anyone may have an idea on this I can provide more detailed information.

Any help appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it will not work with your server, right, well i have had the same problem, do you know anyone who can help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, all you need to do is, change your dns settings in Control panle/Network and sharing center then click network connections and change your ipv4 connections dns settings to the ip of the windows server 2003 Domain server. if you need a video guide you may use my chanel, www.youtube.com/user/superwizardpc or my website, www.eastmidlandsit.com 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can someone please help me by voting for my answer, so i get good points.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 4,929 Applies to: