Windows 7 Machine Kills Workgroup Networking Access for XP Machines.

LAN consisting of:
Machine 1: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Machine 2: Windows XP Pro SP3
Machine 3: Windows XP Pro SP3

Periodically I begin to get error messages on the XP machins when I click on the workgroup all of the machines on the LAN belong to.
My Network Places --> Microsoft Windows Network --> <workgroup>
The error message is: 
<workgroup> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Access is denied.

At that point the XP machines cannot see any machine on the LAN via the workgroup.  The Windows 7 machine can see one of the two XP machines.  The other one just doesn't show up -- no error messges.

If I shutdown the Windows 7 machine.  The XP machines can now see each other in the workgroup.  If I then bring up the Windows 7 machine all three machines can see each other via the workgroup.

It appears that over time the Windows 7 machine somehow absorbs network resources until the workgroup no longer functions.  Rebooting the Windows 7 machines fixes the problem.  Rebooting the XP machines does not.

Please note that when the workgroup is working the machines have access to each other and a wireless printer.  So it is not a firewall problem; it is not a permissioning problem; it is a Windows 7 workgroup problem.  Somehow, Windows 7 stops the workgroup from working after it has been running for a while.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?  If not is there a way to recover without having to reboot the Windows 7 machine?

Hi,

You may try the steps below and check if the issue gets fixed.

Step 1: To access the homegroup in safemode with networking and check for the issue. 

Follow this below provided link to start your computer in safemode with networking.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode 

Now boot to the normal mode and turn off the password protection in advance settings 

Start>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]

Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null). 

First you need to check whether the Network Discovery is turned ON on your computer, to do that follow the link provided below. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-network-discovery

Step 2: Now you need to follow the below provided links to check whether you are able to connect to home network.

Home sweet homegroup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/home-sweet-homegroup-networking-the-easy-way

Step 3: Now you need to visit the link which will assist you in troubleshooting the network issues.

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-Network-troubleshooter-in-Windows-7

Now you may follow the steps provided in the below link, 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup

Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You may try the steps below and check if the issue gets fixed.

Step 1: To access the homegroup in safemode with networking and check for the issue.

1. I don't have a homegroup LAN.  I have a work LAN using Microsoft Workgroups.
2. It is not a settings problem as rebooting the Windows 7 machine cures the problem and the settings are the same after the reboot as they were before.

Running Windows Since 1.01 on a 5 1/4" Diskette and Before That DOS.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some additional information.

I am currently running a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 guest using VirtualBox.  At this time the guest is able to see the XP machines and the XP machines can see the guest in the workgroup.

The Windows 7 Ultimate x64 host cannot see the XP machines and the XP machines cannot see it.

I shutdown the guest and the host still cannot see the XP machines and they cannot see it.

I now have to reboot the host to get it to see the XP machines.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some additional information.

I am currently running a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 guest using VirtualBox.  At this time the guest is able to see the XP machines and the XP machines can see the guest in the workgroup.

The Windows 7 Ultimate x64 host cannot see the XP machines and the XP machines cannot see it.

I shutdown the guest and the host still cannot see the XP machines and they cannot see it.

I now have to reboot the host to get it to see the XP machines.

This situation on the host seems to be deteriating.  IE 8 is now experiencing similar problems.  I can access a web site's root but IE says it cannot find the server if some -- but not all -- folders are referneced.  Using the IP address instead of the domain allows IE 8 to find the server and the folder.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 6,672 Applies to: