Windows 7 laptops knocks out internet for all devices on network. HELP!

We have 3 Windows 7 laptops that all knock out the internet for all other devices when we try to access the wireless network. I have a Linksys EA 4500 router and a wired/wireless network. The Ipads have no issues connecting but tteh Windows 7 laptops shut the internet down.

Spent 4 hours on the phone with Cisco- Worked for 1/2 hour and now back to the same old thing- Frustrating!  

Cna anyone HELP?

Thank you

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Microsoft Community I understand that Windows 7 laptop knocks out internet for all devices on network. I will help you with this issue.

1.Are the computers connected to a domain network?

2.Did you make any changes to the computer recently?

3.Which security software is installed on the computer?

Please provide us with more relevant information to continue with the troubleshooting accordingly.

Refer the link on how to ask questions or help on Forums.

Suggestions for asking a question on help forums: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Additional Information.

Wired and wireless network problems: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The network I have is a wired/wireless network-( All computers are connected to my linksys router. I don't believe I have a domain network) If you are asking if I have a server, no

This is an issue that has been going on for a while- At first I thought the router was bad, so I bought a new one-

About 3 months ago, I set up a home office and added a Windows 7 pro laptop to a docking station. I plugged it in to my wired network. I point out that when I put the curser over the network logo on the bottom right of the task bar, it says "network 3" vs the name of my netwrok ( mgh3834e) Don't know if that has anything to do with it-

I use McAfee for security/Anti virus on the desktop and one laptop, but one or 2 of the laptops ( including the windows pro uses "trend micro" I believe

Thank you for any hep you can provide

Sorry this didn't help.

That's a strange one.
 What exactly do you mean by "knock out the Internet" for the other devices.  Do they retain a connection to the wireless router but without Internet access?    If you have a computer to check with (rather than only an IPad) what does IP config /all show when the problem occurs?

Does this happen only with a wireless connection?  i.e. If you connect one of the Windows 7 laptops by wired connection to the router does the same problem occur?
Technician / Consultant

Sorry this didn't help.

What I mean about being knocked off the internet- The hard wired computers ( and the laptops that are connected wirelessly all lose internet connectivity- sometimes for 15-30 minutes as the network icon on the bottom of the screen goes from having a red X over the wired internet to the blue circle grinding ( trying to identify internet connection.) Once we turn off or disconnect the laptops- The internet is restored after a period of time

I have not tried plugging a laptop into the network with a CAT 5- I can do that.

I don't know what you mean about the IPConfig/all showing??? or knoing if they retain a connection to the router- How would I check that ?

I do have 2 Windows 7 Laptops here ( and when my son is here, a 3rd that all do the same thing.

Thank you for your interest in trying to help get this figured out-

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having a similar problem. I have a Windows 7 PC hardwired to my network, and a Windows XP PC on a wireless connection. These two work with no problems when powering up. However, I have a Windows 7 laptop that knocks both computers offline when it powers up. Neither PC will reconnect to the network until the laptop has connection. I had this problem once before. There was a setting I had to change on the laptop to solve the problem, I just don't remember what it was.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Ipconfig is a command line tool used to control the network connections on Windows machines. There are three main commands: "all", "release", and "renew".

Ipconfig displays all current TCP/IP network configuration values and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS) settings.

Used without parameters, ipconfig displays the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway for all adapters.

I would suggest you to refer to this article and check if that helps.

Wired and wireless network problems: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Robert, if you remember what setting you changed, please let me know- I am having this same problem. Do you think it is wireless channel detection problem?

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a windows 7 home premium / toshiba c855-s5214 / connecting to the internet thru a BEC 6200 WZL supplied by Pine Belt Wireless...I seem to be assigned a static IP that comes back to me when I turn it off for several hours and back on.

I connect at 3g speeds even though the unit says it's a 4g modem.  Quite often, about once or twice an hour, I will click a button in Internet Explorer (all the latest updates installed) and I will lose internet connection.

I do not lose the wireless connection with the modem.  I can log in to the modem, and all the lights on the front of the modem are steady green.  However, I cannot download or upload for about 5 minutes.  Re-connecting the wireless connection does not help.  Nor does physically turning the modem on / off.  Once it disconnects, NOTHING I can do makes any difference.  It's going down for 4 or 5 minutes.

I have not tried to duplicate this problem with chrome or firefox or in Ubuntu Linux.

I have an android phone and tablet (both samsung) and they are also disconnected when the laptop goes offline.

I have contacted Pine Belt wireless, and they say this is a problem that other people are having, but they won't give me a different modem.

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping MAYBE somebody might have found a cure...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2020 Views 3,856 Applies to: