Windows 7 Home 64 bit wireless connection has "limited connectivity"

I recently purchased a new HP laptop and the wireless worked fine for about a week.  Now when i try to connect to any network (secure, or unsecured) all i get is that the connection has limited connectivity.  I have spoken with HP and they were zero help and i ended up doing a system reboot and losing all of my documents.  I have tried turning off the firewalls but to no avail.  From what i have read this is a common issue with windows 7.  When i use an ethernet connection it works just fine.  I really don't want to have to drive an hour and a half to take my computer to where i bought it and i think there must be something in the settings that i am unaware of that is preventing me from using my wireless card properly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2019 Views 206,552 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi TKSMTNS,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

Are you able to connect to the internet? If yes, you may disable the error message

The error message can be caused by several things. This error message can also be displayed when, in fact, you are already connected to the Internet. If that is the case, you can safely ignore the error message.

To disable the error message, follow these steps.

1. Open network connections from control panel.
  2. Double-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
  3. In the General tab, click to clear the Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity check box.
  4. Click OK, and then click Close.

Also, I suggest you to run the networking troubleshooter and check the result -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Open-Networking-troubleshooters

You may also check the status of the wireless network card driver/adapter and try updating the driver if needed.

Follow the steps to check for the Network Adapter in the device manager:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Click System and Maintenance, click System, and then click Device Manager.
    Note: If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System, and then click Device Manager.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  3. In Network Adapter, expand Network Adapter, right-click the devices listed. Here you will get the device listed.
    Check if you have any exclamation or cross marks alongside the devices listed. If you do have then there is issue with the adapter installed.

Refer to the below mentioned link to update the drivers manually from the manufacturer website -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

197 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.