Windows 7 finds my Windows 8 PC in the Homegroup but when I try to access the files it shows nothing. What is happening?

Windows 7 finds my Windows 8 PC in the Homegroup but when I try to access the files it shows nothing.  What is happening?

Also if I try to access my win 8 pc through the network explorer it tell me it is configured correctly but not responding eventhough the win 8 pc is responding normally and everythig is shared. 

I have no problem accessing my win 7 pc from the win 8 pc but not the other way around.

Answer
Answer
Hi,
Thank you for posting your issue on Microsoft Community Forums.
From issue description, we understand that you are not able to share files from home group in Windows 7
We can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced.
Let us go ahead and help you with the issue.

If you could answer a few questions it would help us to resolve this issue:
1. Do you get any error message?
2. Did you make any changes in the computer prior to the issue?

Here are a few methods which you can follow to resolve the issue:

Method 1:
Run Homegroup Fixit.
Here’s the link you can refer.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/why-cant-i-access-my-homegroup

Method 2:
Sharing could be blocked by security software such as Firewall.
Now turn off all the security software and try accessing those contents.
Refer to the link:
Understanding Windows Firewall settings
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Understanding-Windows-Firewall-settings
Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3:
Make sure that network location is not set to Public as Home Group is not available on public networks. Change it to Home Network.
Choosing a network location
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Choosing-a-network-location

Method 4:
Configure this setting
a. Click the file or folder you want to configure, and then do one of the following:
b. To share the file or folder with nobody, click Share within the toolbar, and then click Nobody.
c. To share the file or folder with specific people, click Share within the toolbar, click Specific people, select each person with whom you want to share with the file or folder, and then click Add. Click Share to close the File Sharing dialog box. Sharing with specific people only works if they’ve linked their profiles to an online ID.
d. To share the file or folder with the entire home group, click Share within the toolbar, and then click either Home Group (Read) or Home Group (Read/Write).

Also refer to the link:

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 154 Applies to: