Windows 7 error message 651

I'm running Win 7 64 bit all has been great until recently.  I'm unable to access internet or see other devices on my LAN (ie printers other devices).  I get an error message 651,  I have ethernet to router to modem and get to the internet via Comcast.  Other pcs/laptops on LAN have internet access, no problems.

• Did the Chkdsk - no problems
  • Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full virus scan- no problems
  • Did a restore to a prior date (5/23/2010 - no change
  • Downloaded the raspppoe.sys file onto my laptop - burned a cd and installed on the PC
  • Renamed the old file to raspppoe_orig.sys - did a restart - no change
  • Checked all ethernet cables/connections - no change

I welcome any insight into solving this riddle, as business is closed until I can get back on line.  Thanks much.

• Answer
    Answer

Hi,

Step 1:

I would suggest you to run network troubleshooter and check if it helps, here is the link:

Open networking troubleshooters

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-networking-troubleshooters

Step 2:

Disable your antivirus and other security software if you have installed and check as this can interfere with the connection.

Step 3:

Do you have Microsoft Virtual PC installed?

Many users facing the same issue seems to have fixed it by disabling/uninstalling the above. For test purpose you may disable the above feature temporarily and see if there’s any noticeable change.

Step 4:

Disable IPv6 for your connection

Here’s how:

1. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network & Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (in the left pane).
    2. Right-click on the connection you‘re using > Properties > Networking Tab.
    3. Now remove the tick from the IPv6 box.
    4. If it makes no difference, it is completely reversible by ticking the box.

Note: Ensure to enable your antivirus back. Also ensure that you enable the Virtual PC back if it’s not causing the problem.

Step 5:

Try updating the drivers for your modem and check if it helps, go to manufacturer’s website download and try installing it and check.

Here’s a complete list of error codes that you may receive while making dial-up connection.

List of Error Codes that you may receive when you try to make a dial-up connection or a VPN connection in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923944/en-us

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and, if you have any feed backs you can post here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2019 Views 8,586 Applies to: