windows 7 dial up problem dial up won't connect

I just did a clean install of windows 7 64bit.Next i tried to install msn 9'6 dial up. It dials, sits for about 10-15 seconds, and then disconnects. I then tried a DUN connection. it dials, connects, verifies, then disconnects with error code 628. It's got an Agere modem that is recognizzed and says the drivers good. any ideas? I've tried with firewall turned off or on. it was working fine in vista

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2018 Views 3,462 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi steve997,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

I would suggest you to run modem diagnostics to check the possible problem.

1. Click on Start, got to Control Panel – Hardware and Sound – Phone and Modem Options.
  2. In Modem tab, right-click the modem and select Properties - If the default speed is not already set, set the Maximum Port speed to 57600 - Click the Diagnostic tabClick Query Modem

If the modem responds and it is functioning, the system displays the modem information. If the message "No Hardware ID Found" is displayed, or if you receive an error message, then contact the OEM/manufacturer of your computer for help with troubleshooting the modem errors.

If you do not get any errors then you will have to contact the Internet Service Provider for further resolution of the issue.

Thanks,
Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.