Windows 7 - Cannot set the Default Gateway

I am using a Windows 7 Dell laptop connected to a BT Home Hub 6. I was able to connect to the Intenet via Wireless Network Connection using static IP Address until I applied a Microsoft fix here in order to address a problem I was having with activating office Fix to Office

When I applied the fix, I lost all my Internet connections from my laptop, which were set up using static IP addresses. I have since got the ethernet working by using DCHP but I can't get Wifi working again. DCHP still doesn't work on my Wifi so I just want to get the static address method working again.

When I go into Network Connections and try to set a static IP address, no matter what I do the Default gateway doesn't get set to what I want it to be (192.168.1.13). I have tried doing this twice, each time setting back to obtaining an IP address automatically (which some people have advised).

I have also tried netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Wireless Network Connection" static 192.168.1.13 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.13 but when you do ipconfig, it either shows blank, 0.0.0.0 or occasionally it shows 0.0.0.0 AND 192.168.1.13. 

I have also tried route delete 0.0.0.0 , ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew which just blanks the 0.0.0.0 but I still can't then get my IP adress back in there! I also found the Bonjour service running and disabled this in services.msc and rebooted.

Please can you advise how to get my connection back!! Thanks

Answer
Answer

Please run the route delete command using Command Prompt so that you can delete the 0.0.0.0 gateway. To do this follow the steps below:

1. Run the Command Prompt as administrator.
  2. In the Command Prompt window, type route delete 0.0.0.0.
  3. Run the ipconfig command to check if you still have the 0.0.0.0 gateway.

Let us know the outcome.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2023 Views 4,639 Applies to: