Wifi hotspot redirect to logon pages not working

Hi,
i am using Win7 64 bit home on a new laptop. Wireless works fine on the laptop to my home router, hidden SSID and WPA2 etc.

When using it out and about at various hotspots, i can connect to the provider network without issues - i get IP address, DNS and default gateway via DHCP correctly. However, the hotspots are using page hijacking to redirect the user to a login page for internet access. This just doesnt seem to work, and ive tried everything barring another browser. As a result, the tray icon shows limited (no internet) access for the connection.

The hotspots are redirecting correctly to the login page with an iPhone and a friends XP laptop. I cant seem to find that many mentions of the problem, so maybe its just my issue but its a pretty vanilla setup on the machine, and i have tried with AV and FW disabled as a test. I also cant see any relevant IE advanced options that would seem to be blocking the redirect.

Has anyone else encountered this and know a fix?

Cheers

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Try these

I) Reset the TCP/IP stack.
Go to this article and either click on "Fix it for me" or follow the instructions to fix it yourself:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357Disable the IP Helper service:
1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

II) Disable IPv6:
Try uninstalling IPv6 on all interfaces, removing any IPv6 virtual adapters, and resetting the TCP/IP stack. To remove IPv6, go into the properties for each network adapter and either uncheck the box next to the protocol "Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6), that will disable it, or select it and click uninstall, which will remove it off the computer. Then go into device manager and remove any 4to6 adapters, WUN miniport adapters, or tunnel adapters.NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Hope the info. is useful

144 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2023 Views 95,735 Applies to: