Why does my wireless adapter take so long to connect to network after rebooting/restarting?

Hi:

I've used everything in the forum to try to get a solution to this problem which just started happening over the past few months. Yes, I looked at all the answers and suggestions and did them all, but nothing works. Troubleshooters say all is fine. I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop N7010. My adapter is the DWLAN1501 half-mini wireless adapter. It used to always connect really fast until the past three/four months. I have the Comcast Caller ID on it and a thing called the DWLAN Utility,and MSE. Even with these starting up previously, I never had a problem until the past few months.

I don't know if the adapter is configured with the proper defaults following what the help file says for the utility as everytime I've tried to reconfigure it or reinstall the adapter, I end up crashing the network! It used to always connect, right from the get go even with these programs running. I have not changed my router and the problem had begun prior to my ISP giving me a newer modem-about 2 months ago. As I have said, everything that has previously been suggested about adapters taking a long time to connect to the network that has been listed in this forum, I have tried. I am curious if anyone else has this problem with this particular adapter, but more importantly, why did it happen just over the past few months? Nothing was changed and yes, I've done safe mode with network, IP Config, and even trying a static IP address with my DNS servers' addresses put in, but that didn't work either. I've accessed the Linksys utility, changed channels, but nothing works to speed it up. My CallerID for the PC from Comcast does immediately connect, but meanwhile, the adapter still has this circle spinning around it. We have a number of wireless devices, but none of them are new, ie, just during the past3/4 months. Most are manually set to turn on the wireless network on once they are turned on except for the printer and two tablets. Maybe there is no way to correct this after having tried everything that's all ready been suggested to other people on the forum with the same problem, but I thought I'd give it a try. I have WPA2 personal with AES. Thanks. Oh, it is also taking IE longer to connect to the Internet as well, once the adapter finally connects and yes, I have disabled add-ons to no avail.

LindaSView

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2018 Views 5,827 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Linda,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community Forum.

As per the description I understand that, your wireless adapter takes a long time to connect to network since last few months. You have already tried a number of troubleshooting steps like running Windows network troubleshooter, reconfiguring and reinstalling the adaptor, starting Windows in safe mode with networking, and many other troubleshooting methods, but none of them helped you enough to get this problem resolved.

I can understand how frustrating that could be to wait for wireless adaptor to connect to network for so long, and the problem persists even after trying all possible troubleshooting steps. However, we will work together to get this problem resolved.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

1. You mentioned that you tried to start the computer in safe mode with networking? Does Windows show any different behavior there?
  2. Have you checked connecting the wireless adaptor to any other computer? Does the problem persist?
  3. What all troubleshooting steps you have already performed?

A network adapter driver is used by your computer to communicate with your wireless network adapter. Outdated, incompatible, or corrupted network adapter drivers can prevent network connections or cause intermittent disconnections.

If you've had recent power outages, viruses, or other computer problems, it's possible that the driver has become corrupted. Resetting Network adaptors or downloading and installing the latest network adapter driver can resolve these types of problems.

Let’s follow the Methods below to check if that solves the problem.

Method 1:

First, I would suggest you to reset the Wireless Network Adaptor to default and check if that helps.

Follow the steps below to reset the Wireless Network Adaptor. To reset the adapter:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.
  2. Right-click the network adapter icon, and then click Disable. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Right-click the adapter icon again, and then click Enable. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

The adapter is now reset. Try connecting to the network again, or run the Network troubleshooter to verify that your network adapter is now working correctly.

Open the Network troubleshooter by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Troubleshoot problems.

Method 2:

If you reset your network adapter and still can't connect to a network, you might need to update the adapter driver. (Updating the driver can solve the problem of missing or failed drivers, as well as outdated ones.)

To update your network adapter driver, follow these steps:

(You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps. )

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Double-click Network Adapters, right-click your adapter, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

If Windows can't find the driver on your computer, you might need to contact the network adapter manufacturer or your computer manufacturer to get the driver. Check the information that came with your network adapter or your computer to see if you have a disc that contains the drivers.

For more information, please refer the article below:

Wired and Wireless network problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/network-connection-problem-help#network-problems=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab5&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Method 3:

Virus or malware infections could also be a possible reason of this issue. Let’s scan the computer with Microsoft Safety Scanner, just to make sure that the computer is free of all infections.

Download and run Microsoft safety scanner to scan your computer for viruses

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

You may also temporarily disable antivirus if any (just for diagnostic Purposes) and check if issue persists.

Note:Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope this information is helpful. Please let us know the results. Feel free to write back to us for any further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,
Mann Manohar

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mann Manohar:

I did everything you said. I also ran the diagnostics. Also, I've got no virus's as I scan all the time-especially the network! So a virus is not the problem or malware. So, here's where I'm at:

Did as you said-disconnected/disabled, enabled/reconnected and rebooted and it was the same problem. My friend and I timed it and it took almost 4 minutes for the wireless adapter to connect, even though, my Comcast CallerID connected immediately. I know that despite it being connected to Comcast, it is picking up on my land phoneline, if you can understand what I am trying to say.
I have the same problem when I run in safe mode with networking. On the adapter page, I have three red "X's" across the Ethernet Adapter, then two I don't understand,"Wireless local area connection(network cable unplugged)-which I believe is my LAN Ethernet Atheros card)then "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter"(not connected) and Microsoft Virtual Wifi miniport adapter-not connected. When I run the diagnostics on all networks, I got two logs-ADM0.etl, and ADM1.etl. The logs basically say the adapter has low health, and runs these tests between mounds of YYYYYY's and OOOOOO's. I have the logs saved, and because they are so long-even with the "Y's" and "O's" taken out, I don't think you would care to see them. In essence, it's a hardware issue and one that is above my baseline on knowledge of hardware or else I would have fixed it :). When I plug in my Atheros Ethernet Adapter, naturally, everything starts faster, but the den where the cable modem is and my router is not where I use my laptop. That's where my AIO desktop computer will be going, later this year, and probably will be the only device in the house connected, using the ethernet. For now, because of convenience,I run a total wireless network, with a silly name.
Dell does not have any updated drivers for this card which is a Broadcom/Dell config card. The only update I had was for the driver, dated 2009, in order to make it compatible with Windows 7, but there's a problem with that as I state further down. There is no updated driver for it since that one. Broadcom does not have the DWLAN1501 as it was special to Dell, from what I understand when I contacted them.
As I said, I do have the logs from the latest diagnostics, but because of sensitivity issues, I can't post them here as I'd probably open myself up to attack-despite my security being fairly strong. Rule of thumb, "Do not tempt fate".
What I don't know is if I should have the other two wireless devices enabled as I don't understand why the show up as "Wireless Local Area Connection(Network cable unplugged,Broadcom Virtual Wireless adapter)" and "Wireless  Network Connection(not connected,Microsoft Virtual Wifi miniport adapter)"-which I have no clue as to that meaning. As I said above, it's got two different names and shows up in Device Manager when I view hidden devices. In the first log, it says something about IPSEC and something about a filtering policy blocking network connectivity for my program and repeats "Low Health", but says"WinInetHelperClass sucessfully received 200 from:www.microsoft.com". Then it goes on to diagnose- "S e t t i n g   i n d e t e r m i n a t e   t o   a l l o w   f o r   F i l t e r i n g   d i a g n o s i s ." That comes back with this:"W i n I n e t H e l p e r C l a s s   L o w H e a l t h   d i a g n o s i s   s t a t u s   3   [ D S _ I N D E T E R M I N A T E ]   H R E S U L T   0   [ 4 8 0 4   m s ]   d e s c r i p t i o n :   A   f i l t e r i n g   p o l i c y   m i g h t   b e   b l o c k i n g   n e t w o r k   c o n n e c t i v i t y   f o r   y o u r   p r o g r a m." I also have:"W i n I n e t H e l p e r C l a s s   L o w H e a l t h   h y p o t h e s i s   T c p W i n d o w S c a l i n g ." In the second log, I get a message "I P   a d d r e s s )   i s   l i n k   l o c a l A d d r e s s A c q u i s i t i o n   I P v 4   i s   O K ,   I P v 6   ( I P   a d d r e s s )   f i r s t   u n i c a s t   a d d r e s s   i s   l o w   h e a l t h ,   b u t   w e   d o n ' t   h a v e   D H C P   r e p a i r s   f o r   I P v 6 ,   s o   w e   i g n o r e   t h i s ."There's also something about the IPSEC and "no tunnel found". There's also something about the network adapter having a problem, but it names my network, not the adapter. I also get "low health" and because I don't have NAP running, "T h i s   m i g h t   l i m i t   a c c e s s   o n   n e t w o r k s   t h a t   u s e   N A P   t o   v e r i f y   t h a t   c o m p u t e r s   m e e t   n e t w o r k   r e q u i r e m e n t s ."  There's more in this log, but basically, it comes out "success" through various channels such as DHCP, but still declares the adapter "in "low health". The adapter does have configuration settings in device manager and as I said, the utility help file gives the defaults, but whenever I try to do something to the adapter, it throws me off the network and I usually have to run a System Restore or I unplug the modem, wait, and plug it back in. However, because there are at least two people on the network at the same time, when I go to unplug the modem, I make someone terribly unhappy as the network goes briefly down! Also, the updated driver I am supposed to use, does not have the hardware qualification certificate even though that's supposed to be the driver for Windows 7 compatibility. Sorry, this is so long, but I did try to trim the logs down. Dell never could help me with it nor Broadcom, so I figured I'd try here. I just don't understand what happened. I'm quite sure the answer is somewhere in the logs, but as I said, it's above my knowledge base in working with wireless adapters, configuration, and installation of drivers. Also, it's strange that in the second log, it doesn't talk about the adapter, but instead, uses the network name. However, under "description" it does name the adapter and its "OEM" file.Thanks for any help you may be able to give. The second full log, I believe, has the answer somewhere in it, but I don't understand it enough. Yes, as a system admin for the household and about eight wireless devices, including my HP Printer, I've done fairly well for everyone else, just not me!
Linda's View

LindaSView aka Security4theTechNoSpeak(TM)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

MORE INFO:

I hadn't visited device manager for quite some time. This is what I found in the OEM files and there were more under the broadcom device driver abbreviations, such as,bcmwl6.inf,Bcmwl64,the adapter I use:
bcmihvsrv64,bcmihvui64,bcmwlcoi,DRIVERS\BCMWL664.SYS,\drivers\vwifibus.sys

DEVICE MANAGER

Network Adapters:

Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller-is installed and taking up resources even though on network adapter list it has a red "X" on it.(This is Wired Ethernet Adapter)

Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter
Says "This device is working properly"
Red "X" through this too.(Don't know what this is)under"drivers\bcmvwl64.sys

DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
This is what I use and is working. MAIN ADAPTER

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Has red "X", but in device manager, "this device is working" \DRIVERS\Vwifimp.sys

Network Infrastructure Device:
   Microsoft Wireless Router Module
   "This device is working properly"
I have a linksys ea2700 router which is going to be replaced real soon with the best wireless router Belkin/Linksys have. Currently still in the box. The driver info is \DRIVERS\umpass.sys
When I went in to the OEM file for this device it came up with the following info:
";/*++
;
;Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
;
;Module Name:
;
;    pnpxrtr.inf
;
;Abstract:
;    INF file for installing a MS PnP-X Router/NID. Uses UMPass.sys
;
;--*/

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=%ClassName%
Provider=%MSFT%

; Digital Media Device GUID
ClassGuid={B6A945DE-134C-4279-9A66-61A63C6F0DC5}
DriverVer=05/13/2010, 1.0.0.2
CatalogFile=delta.cat

[ClassInstall32]
Addreg=NetworkInfrastructureDevice_ClassReg

[NetworkInfrastructureDevice_ClassReg]
HKR,,,,%ClassName%            ; Friendly Name for this device class
HKR,,SilentInstall,,1         ; Specify a silent installation for this device class
HKR,,Icon,,"-52"              ; Icon to use for this device class

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 11           ; Install files to ...\system32 by default (DIRID_SYSTEM)

[Manufacturer]                ; Should list all device manufacturer/model combinations here
%MSFT%=PnPXRTRDevice, NTx86.6.0, NTx86.6.1, NTamd64.6.0, NTamd64.6.1

; Model Device Description    Install Section       HWIDs, Compatible IDs
; -----------                    -------               --------

; Enter the HARDWARE ID for you device here by replacing HARDWAREID with your device's hardware ID

[PnPXRTRDevice.NTx86.6.0]              ; Model specific install section list (x86 Section)
%PnPXRTRDevice.DeviceDesc% =PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista, UMB\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01

[PnPXRTRDevice.NTx86.6.1]              ; Model specific install section list (x86 Section)
%PnPXRTRDevice.DeviceDesc% =PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7, UMB\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01

[PnPXRTRDevice.NTamd64.6.0]              ; Model specific install section list (x86 Section)
%PnPXRTRDevice.DeviceDesc% =PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista, UMB\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01

[PnPXRTRDevice.NTamd64.6.1]              ; Model specific install section list (x86 Section)
%PnPXRTRDevice.DeviceDesc% =PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7, UMB\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01

; ===================== Install Sections =======================

; ===================== Install Win7 Section =======================

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT]
Include=umpass.inf
Needs=UmPass

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT.HW]                 ; Optional section to add device specific information to the registry
Include=umpass.inf
Needs=UmPass.HW
AddReg=PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT.HW.AddReg

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT.HW.AddReg]

HKCR,NetworkExplorerPlugins\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01\DefaultIcon,,0x00000000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\networkmap.dll,-206"

HKCR,NetworkExplorerPlugins\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01\shell\"Network Map"\command,,0x00000000,"explorer.exe shell:::{E7DE9B1A-7533-4556-9484-B26FB486475E}"

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Classes\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\UMB#VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01\shell\"Network Map"\command,,0x00000000,"explorer.exe shell:::{E7DE9B1A-7533-4556-9484-B26FB486475E}"

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Classes\DeviceDisplayObject\HardwareId\UMB#VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01\shell\"Network Map","DefaultAppliesTo",0x00000000,""

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT.CoInstallers]
Include=umpass.inf
Needs=UmPass.CoInstallers

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT.Services]
Include=umpass.inf
Needs=UmPass.Services

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Win7.NT.Interfaces]
Include=umpass.inf
Needs=UmPass.Interfaces

; ===================== Install Vista Section =======================

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista.NT]

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista.HW]                 ; Optional section to add device specific information to the registry
AddReg=PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista.HW.AddReg

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista.HW.AddReg]

HKCR,NetworkExplorerPlugins\VEN_0033&DEV_0006&REV_01\DefaultIcon,,0x00000000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\icsigd.dll,-121"

HKCR,NetworkExplorerPlugins\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{4A1E5ACD-A108-4100-9E26-D2FAFA1BA486}

HKCR,NetworkExplorerPlugins\VEN_0033&DEV_0008&REV_01\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{4A1E5ACD-A108-4100-9E26-D2FAFA1BA486}

[PnPXRTRDevice_Install_Vista.Services]           ; Setup the UMPass service for our device
AddService = UMPass, %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%, UMPassService_Install

[UMBUS_UnitTestDevice_Install.Services]
AddService = UMPass, %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%, UMPassService_Install

[UMPassService_Install]
DisplayName    = %umpass.SVCDESC%     ; Friendly Name of the Service
ServiceType    = 1                    ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType      = 3                    ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl   = 1                    ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary  = %12%\umpass.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Extended Base

[Strings] ; Strings that are referenced throughout the INF
MSFT = "Microsoft"
SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE= 0x00000002
umpass.SVCDESC = "Microsoft UMPass Driver"
ClassName = "Network Infrastructure Devices"

; Enter the device description for your NID device here:
PnPXRTRDevice.DeviceDesc = "Microsoft Wireless Router Module"

Needless to say, I have no clue how or why this shows up. On my map of network neighborhood it shows my computers and devices, a "switch" and the linksys router. I also don't understand how these devices are listed as running when all the adapters, except to Broadcom DWLAN1501 is the only adapter that I use. I also don't understand the Microsoft Wireless Router Module and all the stuff that is displayed under "Details". Thanks so much. It has to be a config problem as well as even though the ethernet adapter is Xed out, it's still using resources and I have no idea what that Microsoft Network Module thing is. Like I said, I installed the linksys router, but somehow it comes up as an MS Router?

Thanks so much,

LindaSView

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Linda,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue and apology for the delayed response.

I appreciate the time taken by you to reply with such a detailed description.

Since we have already tried a number of troubleshooting methods and none of them made any difference to the way your wireless adaptor connects to the network. Disconnecting, reconnecting, resetting, repairing, uninstalling reinstalling wireless adaptor and driver produces the same results. However, other computers connected to the same network work fine. This indicates towards some corruptions within Windows.

I would suggest you to rum Microsoft Safety Scanner SFC /SCANNOW to scan the system integration and fix any corruption.

The sfc /scannow (System File Checker) command scans all protected system files, and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Hope this information is helpful. Please keep us updated on the status of the issue.

Regards,
Mann Manohar

Sorry this didn't help.

Mann:

I'll run the system file checker as I haven't done that in a while tonight. Also, when you mentioned that, I realized I hadn't run my Diskeeper Defrag tool in a year, so maybe that will help. I also don't know if I have the proper settings on my wireless adapter. As I told you, it comes with this utility and a help file about what the defaults should be and I may have played with that. I appreciate the help you gave and will report back. It was strange today, as I cleaned-up some useless junk on the computer and when I restarted, the connection happened right away. However, my printer all of a sudden disapppeared from the network and in the process of running the HP Printer diagnose tool, I had an update and then the darn software uninstalled and I had to reinstall it. When I rebooted again, it ran slow, once again. I disabled a number of start-up programs using the RevoPro uninstaller utility(Msconfig doesnt play nice when you disabe start-ups, as you know), but that didn't do it either-make it faster to connect. So, yes, I will do as you said as well as defrag and I'll get back to you. I'll also see if, in the long list of things for my adapter, I changed anything from the defaults. Awwwwgh! Thanks again for your time and I'll get back to you.

Linda

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply Linda,

Please let us know the results after running Windows System File Checker tool, and Defrag as you mentioned. Results will guide us to troubleshoot in the right direction.  

Regards,
Mann Manohar

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mann Manohar:

Well, it's still slow, but I guess I just have to live with it. I installed a new Router as the other one didn't have the reach I needed. Anyhow, after doing every possible thing I could playing with the adapter, I've called it quits. Also, the updated driver-the original was for Vista then Dell/Broadcom rolled out an upgrade for Windows 7 in December, 2009, that does not pass the hardware compatibility test, even though the certificate says it is certified. So, the driver I need for it, does not allow me to install it.(Hair Pulling time). It's not worth the hassle and in the end, I'll probably just get a USB one and disable the internal network wireless adapter. Back to Linksys/Belkin I go. By the way, if anyone is interested, the new Linksys AC1900/EA6900 is phenomenal as far as carrying wireless signals across large amounts of square feet. It was fairly easy to set-up, but I have to redo it as I like giving my network a "quirky" name!

Anyhow, Mann, thanks so much for trying to help me with this issue, but I'm not going to spend anymore time on it!(don't want my hair to get thinner, either)!

Onwards and Upwards!

LindaSView

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had a similar problem for the past few weeks. In my case it only happens on resuming from either Hibernate or Sleep. I have worked through all the relevent  suggestions I could find in this forum. When I try sfc /scannow, I get a very rapid flash of the DOS window and then nothing.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Lenovo B570. My network adaptor is an Atheros AR9285.

My other laptop and my Kindle both connect instantly to WiFi.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Eddie

Sorry this didn't help.

Eddie:

Sorry I didn't see the post earlier. Have you run the Network adapter troubleshooter? You go to the start menu, open control panel and in the search box, type Troubleshooting". Then, when the window pops up click on "View All Trouble Shooters". There's one for your adapter. It has a log when you go into details-normally says it couldn't find a problem, but look at the diagnostic info. Through all the "Y's" and "0's" there is some stuff as I show above. When you go to check the log, by the way, IE will ask you if you want to download, open it, or save it. I open it using notepad-it's a blue link and ends in.".etl"-event log. As you can see from the partial log I posted, it talks about low health, but I have no idea how to get it out of it's poor health-so to speak. Have no clue as to how to tweak it. Your best bet is to contact Atheros and see if they have an updated driver. I do have one that Dell pushed out in 2009 to meet Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility with the driver for the wireless adapter, but Device Manager won't let me install it-saying the certificate isn't signed, but it is. So, I've just had to deal with it. Hope you got your problem solved as I didn't so I'm buying a USB wireless adapter to go with my new router and that, I know, will work!

By By.

LindaSView

Sorry this didn't help.

Linda,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry you were not able to cure your version of the problem, but I'm sure your USB adaptor will be better. Personslly, I am suspicous that a recent Windows update has caused this.

I have run the Troubleshooter and it dosn't report any specific problem. It just run through its checks and re-starts the adaptor. Meanwhile, the wireless eventually comes on anyway. I didn't actually look at the log, so I will try that.

Here's some further info for anyone who might be able to advise further: -

- My other laptop runs Windows 7 Home Basic. (So maybe not subject to the same updates as Home Premium.) This one doesn't have this problem.

- I tried turning off the firewall.

- Run Uniblue and corrected registry errors.

- run the check for a newer driver - reported that it had the latest

- checked the adaptor settings for IPv4 and IPv6 (as described in another string of this forum - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/computer-slow-connecting-to-wireless-network/e917136c-5093-412c-abbf-f28d080b0c7c)

- probably tried something else but I can't remember.

Kind regards,

Eddie

Sorry this didn't help.