When I try to use Remote Desktop on my Windows 7 Ultimate PC I get an error saying: Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons...

original title: windows 7 64 bit remote desktop connect
I have a remote service enabled on my network at work using 3389 port wide open and windows Xp pro SP2 on my workstation I need to connect to .

I can connect via remote desktop connection on my laptop with XP pro SP2 and a Windows 7 32 bit machine via remote desktop connection.

My problem is I cannot connect my Windows 7 64 bit ultimate PC at home with Remote desktop when I try to connect I get this

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled

2)The remote computer is turned off

3) The remote computer is not availabe on the network

None of these three things actually seem to be the case: remote access is enabled, the remote computer is on, and it is available on the network.

any new ideas would be welcome I have tried all the posted fixes and nothing works.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

FWIW I have a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit wireless desktop on my home LAN that connects just fine to a XP Pro SP3 32-bit wired test machine using Remote Desktop [RDC]. Now the XP Pro SP3 RDC test machine is configured for a static IP and I manually configured the net mask, gateway and DNS addresses and made sure NetBIOS over TCPIP is enabled in the properties of the Ethernet NIC on the test machine.

How are you calling, ie. IP or computer name?

Is this on your local LAN or over the public internet?

If your testing/calling over the public internet can you test over your local LAN to see if you can connect?

Just for fun I checked the file hashes for the mstsc.exe file on both the Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine and a Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit machine that I have and the hashes were a bit different as were the file sizes. The file versions were the same though. I presume the difference is because one is 64-bits versus 32...

MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
"When all else fails read the instructions"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 830 Applies to: