Unidentified Network - No Internet Access

I'm a firefighter in a city that has three fire stations. Each fire station has a wireless internet access point inside it. The access points all share a common name ("W_A Public Access" to be exact) and are unsecured. These access points are intended to be WIFI hotspots for official and public use.

I recently bought a notebook PC that's running a Windows 7 64 bit OS so I can take some online classes in the evenings while at work. I've had no problems connecting to various wireless networks with this PC (home network, gym, coffee shop, etc) and was even able to connect to one of the fire station access points without any problem on the first day I used it. However, when I tried to connect to the  access point at a different station, I found that the PC recognized and connected to the network, but listed it as an "unidentified network". I was connected, but with no internet access. Signal strength was perfect, but no internet access. Since that time, I've had no problem with any other networks, and I'm still able to connect automatically at that original fire station. However, the other fire stations continue to show up as "unidentified networks" and I can't get online. It seems as though my PC is trying to connect to that original firehouse network but is getting confused because it's finding a different router with the same network name. Is that a possibility?

By the way, a number of my coworkers use notebook PC's at all three stations without any difficulty, but they're using older operating systems (Vista and XP). Any ideas?

I'm not all that tech savvy, but here's the hardware info I can provide:

• HP G60-647 Notebook PC
  • Windows 7 64-Bit OS
  • Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
  • Sorry, but I don't have any info on the router at this time. I can't believe the router itself is the problem because other PC's are connecting to it constantly without difficulty. Also, as I sit there unable to connect via my PC, I can connect successfully via the WIFI on my phone through the same router.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 2,236 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi

Your station connection is probably set to auto connect.

When you try to connect in another station, it sees the same SSID but other parameters are partially not the same and it get "confused"

When you go to the second station, try to delete your main station from the Wireless management list.

http://www.ezlan.net/vista/wireless_manager.jpg

You can also try to suggest to change each station‘s Access pint transmission channel while maintaining the same SSID.

I.e., station 1 should use channel 1, station 2, channel 6, and station 3 channel 11.

Also check if your firewall trusted zone accommodates the other stations IP schemes.

Jack-MVP Windows Networking. WWW.EZLAN.NET
Jack MVP, Microsoft Windows Desktop Experience-Networking.

www.EZLAN.net

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.