Unidentified network; No internet access - tried all other solutions. Help!!

Hi,

I've got the dreaded 'Unidentified network; No internet access' message, however the problem has only just started with my laptop running Windows 7 and only arises when using the wireless and trying to connect to my home broadband.  My laptop is fine when connected to the home broadband through a network cable and also works wirelessly when connected to via mobile phone tethering.

I've tried as many of the solutions I can find on the net without success.  So far I've tried (individually, not together):

1)  Running Windows troubleshooter - no problems identified.
2)  Reset winsock, reset ipv4, reset ipv6 - no change
3)  Clean boot - same problem once clean booted.
4)  Deleting network adapter in Device Manager and rebooting to allow Windows to reinstall via plug n play - no change.
5)  Downloading and installing latest driver software for my network adapter (Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC), both via Windows and by going to the Realtek website - no change.
6)  System restore to about a month ago, ie way before the problem started - no change
7)  Checked ping via Command Prompt and the laptop gets nothing unless it's wired or mobile tethered.
8)  Disabled and re-enabled the network adapter - no change.
9)  Disabled Bonjour service in msconfig - no change.
10) Disabled Windows Firewall - no change.

I think that's everything I've tried.  Just to add, the router seems fine as we have other devices in the house and they all connect fine, both wired and wirelessly.

The only other thing I thought was about Java.  I was getting annoyed with Java and (probably stupidly) uninstalled it not long before this problem occurred.  However, since the problem arose I've reinstalled it incase that was the problem and it's changed nothing.

Can anyone suggest anything else please?  I'm not a techie so please give any instructions in 'Dummies guide...' speak!!!

Thanks in advance.
I've been annoyed by this unidentified network for a while.  I'd like to brought up my solution here for everyone who tried the following but failed,

1. disabled Bonjour service, i.e. ##Id_String...
2. resetting TCP/IP stack
3. reinstalling network drivers
4. removed McAfee (poor McAfee, Daddy gives you a hug.. , looks like everyone wants to disable your agent)
5. disabled IPV6
6. route delete 0.0.0.0

The reason behind this is that Win7/Win8 broadcasts packets with IGMP (please correct me here).  But the old switch/firewall/router blocks the IGMP packets.  Win7 will not be able to recognize the network and consider it's within an 'unidentified network'.

Please try to 'unplug' your network cable and plug it back again during the gateway PING.  You might see your network would be back for a while, depends on how fast your switch/firewall/router starts to ignore and block the packets.  Sometimes you might get a few minutes to get the network back.

My suggestions to this problem,
1. If you have host-based firewall installed (PC Tools, McAfee... etc.), try to make it transmit IGMP packets, or tried to disable it first.  As for default Windows Firewall, disable it is irrelavent, just leave it as it is.
2. make your switch/firewall/router to transmit IGMP packets.  Most likely is the hardware firewall blocks the IGMP packets.  Or try to enable the IGMP for firewall enabled routers.

Why  IGMP packets need to be used in Win7/Win8? I guess it's for Audio/Video Streaming broadcasting, since it's in great demand for current internet content.  But those packets would be blocked by old firewall/router and considered them as snooping attacks.

Chih

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply Chih.  I'm afraid I'm not too tech-savvy so I'm not sure how to change the IGMP packet settings.  In any event, the router works fine with all other devices in the home, both Win7 devices and non-Win7 devices so it's not likely to be a problem with the router is it?

The problem has also got worse.  Initially the only problem was with WLAN connection between my laptop and the router.  Wired connection to the router worked and mobile tethering worked.  However, as of yesterday, wired connection to the router has stopped, giving the same 'Unidentified network' message.  Mobile tethering still works though.  And all other devices in the home connect fine.

Do you think a Win7 reinstall would work?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you do test for me? I am not sure how many IPs can get from the WAN, i.e. your ISP.  I'd like to test that connect your laptop directly to your router.  And the rest of the devices connect at the back of the other router/wireless router.

So it would looks like...

[ISP's router] -> (real IP) -> notebook w/ Win7
[ISP's router] -> (real IP) -> [wired/wireless AP] -> [NAT] -> other devices

- OR - (same topology, but in real case)

[ISP's 5-port ATU-R]
port #1: plug to notebook w/ Win7, set as DHCP, or fixed IP
port #2: plug to wireless AP, connect to rest of the devices.

I strongly suspect that hardware (i.e. router/firewall) is the key which caused Win7 sent out packets that can't be recognized.  That is why we are doing the test for.

If you can list out the devices, I might be able to have detailed topology for you.

Hope that will help,

Chih

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chih - thanks for your help with this.

I've stumbled across the solution though this morning when another laptop started to have the same problem with the router.

This led me to consider the problem might be with the router rather than the laptop.  A help topic on my ISPs website (Sky Broadband) suggested I perform a factory reset on the router (I'd previously turned the power off to the router and that hadn't worked).  For anyone else with this problem using a Sky Broadband router, the factory reset button is on the back of the router but for my version (white Netgear box) you need a small implement to press it (I used a toothpick).

Having performed this reset my connection to the laptop has now been restored.  So frustrating that the amount of hours I spent on my laptop trying to resolve this problem and the problem was with the router all along!!

Thanks for you help though.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad to hear that you've solved the problem.  It's really frustrated that the network disconnected suddently and you don't know how to fix it.  I am not sure if Microsoft is able to fix this problem.  I used to blame Lenovo X200 notebook support, and I strongly asked them to replace the motherboard after I reinstall a customised Windows 7 Ultimate specificly for X200 model without network connection.  The problem I understand now is caused by the incompatibility between Win7 and netscreen firewall.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2020 Views 2,564 Applies to: