Unable to map a network drive using Windows 7?!

Hello:

I'm having a problem connecting Window 7 to a NAS.  It used to work... with other OSes (XP and W2K).  But it will NOT with Windows 7.

At any rate, when I either try to map a network drive from Explorer, or just enter the UNC in the Address Bar in Explorer, I get a very generic “Windows cannot access” error with a code of “0x80004005 unspecified error”.

So after searching on that error across the web, here are some steps I have taken:

- Turned the firewall off

- Ensured MS Client for Networks is installed on my NIC

-  Verified File and Printer Sharing is enabled

- Made sure the Server, TCPI/IP NetBIOS Helper, and Workstation services were running

- Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP

- Changed the Lanman authentication to the most unsecure option

None of that helped. 

I have Cygwin installed on the box though.  So I ran smbclient -L \\server\share and it give me the finger due to SMB signing required on the server side.  Hmmm... I'm on to something here.

After some poking around I turn signing off with this:  smbclient -L -S off \\server\share

and it works!!!  I can see all the directories and files on the NAS.

In turn, I go back to Windows and remove mrxsmb20 from lanmanworkstation's dependencies, set mrxsmb20 to disabled, and reboot the workstation.  Yet, when it comes back up, I still experience the same problem. 

Since I was able to navigate the NAS with the smbclient, I know my network and integration is set up correctly.  Mapping a drive in Windows is still problematic though.  So I go back to my original question:  what does it takes for Windows to map a drive?  Meaning what are the settings, services, etc., which are dependent upon the mapping procedure?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

The issue you posted would be better suited in the TechNet community. Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the support you request.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/threads

Hope this information is helpful.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2020 Views 8,390 Applies to: