Unable to connect to wireless network WPA2 under Windows 7 with Dell E6400

Hello,

I spent almost nearly one week to find the following problem with one of my laptops:
Laptop                Dell Latitude E6400
CPU                    Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53GHz
Memory              4GB
OS                      Windows 7 SP1 32 bit Home Premium
Wifi card             Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
Ethernet card      Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

With wireless configuration (Ethernet is disconnected), my E6400 can see the wifi router Motorola  SBG 6580 using WPA2 but when I try to connect to this router (with WPA2 password) I got the error message:
Windows was unable to connect to myrouter.

I updated all drivers with the latest version and I still have the same error message.

I have another laptop Dell E4300 under Windows 7 SP1 32 bit Home Premium and I can connect to the Motorola router without problems.

Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Answer
Answer

I had this problem with my new Dell 1545 & its 1397 WiFi card but this was quite some time ago. The Dell WiFi utility was, it turned out, interfering with Windows' management of the WiFi card. There was also a compatibility problem with the driver versions and I've had to keep the driver at the version Windows offered two years ago. You can read about this at Poor wireless signal Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop 1397 WLAN mini-card but please remember that this was some time ago, that it was with a different Dell model & that no router was involved.

You could also try asking Dell support but I never got any help from them at all, despite asking.

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2020 Views 6,145 Applies to: